Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: new camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new camera

Hi there guys,
    Im looking at buying my first DSLR camera. I was thinking maybe the canon 600d?? do you guys reccomend the twins lens kit? My mains photos will be alot of my two younger boys, sport shots and alot of outdoor shots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks .

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    any of the entry level DSLR kits will do you well while you learn. You will find though, that if the photography bug bites, you will be upgrading. Always look at better lenses. The Canon top line lenses are called the L series. Buy better lenses if you can as a good lens will last you a lifetime. Camera bodies are 'disposable' these days and obsolete with about 3 years as technology advances.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with rick on this one. "kit" lenses may seem like good value at the start because you get a few within the kit, but if this is something you want to take further, you may soon start to realise the limitations of those kit lenses. The biggest factor would more than likely be the speed of the lenses, ( the f stop), getting good shots of the kids at plays and the like will surely be a challenge for most kit lenses. having said that a decent 50mm prime of say 1.8 are reasonable priced to add to the collection.
    If you are looking at good glass for sports and would require a bit more lenght, saving that money from the kit lenses and putting it towards a good 70 - 200 2.8 would be wise.

Simon.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, sorry i dont know much about the lens. So what type of shots would the IS 18-55 & 55-250mm lens do for me?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lenses are just a tool, you as the photographer has to do all the work. An 18-55 lens will give you a good reasonable wide angle at the 18mm end for sweeping landscapes and closer to the 55 end is good for portraiture. The 55-250 is an general purpose zoom lens, used to get you close to the action, for taking sport, children playing across the park etc, so you can stand back and capture genuine moments, often without the subject realising you are there.

Kit Lenses offer a good way to learn how to be a photographer, cause the camera and lenses are just tools. However kit lenses are generally cheaply made, and as your photography improves you will see their limitations and that is when you will see why more expensive lenses are worth it. But as said, you have to learn to be a photographer first, and you can do that well with kit lenses. Just be aware that if you pursue this Art, then you will find you desire better quality lenses, in time. Initially though you will probably not see or understand the differences between lenses. It is all part of the learning processes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll probably find the kit lenses are good to start with, and because they are made in such large volumes, they are dirt cheap.

A good L lens will start costing you from around $1K and up, which is more than you will be spending on the 600D with the 2 kit lenses, if you buy well, and the long L lenses can cost upwards of $10K each!

The 600D is a great starter camera and has many good features and takes wonderful photos and video.
    You should be able to pick up a twin lens kit for around $900 delivered if you buy grey.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool thanks guys, i understand alot more now! Hopefully you will see some of my pics up after the 3rd of may!