User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Photographing School Fete - help please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photographing School Fete - help please!

Hi, I'm new to ausphotography.
    I've offered and my offer has been accepted ( yikes) to photograph my children's school fete this August.
    I won't be the only photographer.
    The event is a big affair, continuing into the night. They will require lots of shots of stalls and stallholders, kids' rides, auctions, evening entertainment, etc, etc.
    the shots will be used on the website and possibly sent to sponsors and potential sponsors for the next event.
    I have a Canon 550, a Canon 18-200mm zoom EFS and am awaiting delivery of my new Canon EF 50mm 1.8.
    As yet I don't have a speed light but am planning on getting one on the next few weeks - not really us what to buy yet.
    i guess I'm looking for general advice about necessary equipment and a few tips on setting shots up to capture the fete at its best.
    thanks for reading.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My advice. Between now and then do as much photography as you can, and learn from it. Post photos to AP, and take on board the feedback and work hard at improving. You joined up as a beginner photographer, basically you need to work hard and be at an intermediate level by August.

Now re gear. What do you plan to do if your 550D has a shutter failure etc, 10 minutes into the event, or you drop it? It does happen. Do you have public liability insurance, what if someone trips over some of your gear while you are shooting, and breaks a leg?
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-04-2012 at 6:48pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply Rick. I hadn't thought of public liability insurance. I'm doing the photography as a volunteer along with other volunteers. I'll ask the committee if it's necessary. I'd take along my sister's 550 along in case of failure.
    I appreciate your advice.