User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Sony reported to have lost US$6Billion last year

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    08 Oct 2010
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    1,708
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sony reported to have lost US$6Billion last year

    I heard on the news this moring that the Sony Corporation is about to announce a US$6Billion loss!

    I had heard that they are finding things tough, but $6,000,000,000 is a hell of a lot to lose.

    I wonder if this will have much effect on their digital cameras and their supply of sensors to Nikon and Pentax etc.?

    The reports didn't say where the majority of the loss occured, like movies, music or electronics, but it's sure to hit them very hard in all areas of their business.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

  2. #2
    A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jun 2006
    Location
    the worst house, in the best street
    Posts
    8,185
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say the loss is more along the lines of property and business valuations that have been 'masked' up until now in their financial reporting to the relevant national body.

    Now with the Olympus saga almost over, you'll probably find that they've brought forward previous devaluations for the purpose of clarity.

    Basically, it could just be a byproduct of the GFC that's catching up with them.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon} -> 50/1.2 : 500/8(CPU'd) : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8ais : 105mm f/1.8ais : 24mm/2ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC


  3. #3
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    08 Oct 2010
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    1,708
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could be correct Arthur, as there was no mention if the loss was from the operations side of the business or not.

    I guess with property prices plunging in the US over the last few years, the losses could have come from their re-valuation.

    At least making a $6B loss means they won't have to pay much tax for a few years!

  4. #4
    A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jun 2006
    Location
    the worst house, in the best street
    Posts
    8,185
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe4 a year or two... I'm sure that Sony still has the size of market presence that will allow them to make their multibillion dollar profits again in a year or two..

    I'd say by 2014, they'd have recouped this loss, and once again they'll be back in a situation where they can then waste money again to minimise their tax liabilites!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    15 May 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont forget they lost months of revenue when the Thai floods happened

    A77's were washed away, the whole of their digital imaging litterally could not keep their head above water
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr


    Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

  6. #6
    http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/ Steve Axford's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Nov 2007
    Location
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Posts
    3,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur, there is a lot written in the financial press which does not support your theory. Sony have been running a loss for 4 years and have serious problems that go far beyond a simple write off of property values. Their stock has almost halved in value over the last year. They will probably be able to trade out of the mess, but it is still a mess.

    Here's a link
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ll-year-losses
    Last edited by Steve Axford; 15-04-2012 at 6:10pm.

  7. #7
    Member mish13's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Jun 2009
    Location
    Gold Coast Qld
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my gear is Sony so hopefully they are not going anywhere

  8. #8
    Ausphotography Regular Boo53's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Mar 2010
    Location
    Seymour
    Posts
    1,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their new CEO came out about 10 days ago & stated their core business areas going forward will be Imaging, games, & phones

    “Sony is reinforcing its development of image sensors, signal processing technologies, lenses and other key digital imaging technologies in which it excels, and plans to leverage these technologies in both its consumer products (such as compact digital still cameras, digital video cameras and interchangeable lens digital cameras) and broadcast and professional products (such as professional use cameras and security cameras) in order to further strengthen and differentiate Sony’s overall product line. The Company also plans to extend the use of these key technologies across a wide range of business applications, from security to medical, to further expand the scope of its digital imaging business. Sony will target total sales of 1.5 trillion yen and double-digit operating income margin from the consumer, professional and image sensor businesses by FY14.”

  9. #9
    Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Nov 2010
    Location
    magical Mudgee
    Posts
    18,824
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    .. I'm sure that Sony still has the size of market presence that will allow them to make their multibillion dollar profits again in a year or two..
    That's probably right, though I can feel another Kodak moment ............

  10. #10
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    08 Oct 2010
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    1,708
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    Their new CEO came out about 10 days ago & stated their core business areas going forward will be Imaging, games, & phones

    “Sony is reinforcing its development of image sensors, signal processing technologies, lenses and other key digital imaging technologies in which it excels, and plans to leverage these technologies in both its consumer products (such as compact digital still cameras, digital video cameras and interchangeable lens digital cameras) and broadcast and professional products (such as professional use cameras and security cameras) in order to further strengthen and differentiate Sony’s overall product line. The Company also plans to extend the use of these key technologies across a wide range of business applications, from security to medical, to further expand the scope of its digital imaging business. Sony will target total sales of 1.5 trillion yen and double-digit operating income margin from the consumer, professional and image sensor businesses by FY14.”
    Does this mean they won't be making anymore of those Aibo(?) dogs?
    Nikon and Pentax users can now sleep at night seeing as they continuing to make sensors.

  11. #11
    Moderately Underexposed I @ M's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 2007
    Location
    Marlo, Far East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,911
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    Nikon and Pentax users can now sleep at night seeing as they continuing to make sensors.
    Don't forget the Canon owners as well --------
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.



  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Sep 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have they checked down the back of the sofa? that's where I lose mine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •