User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Medium format and 35 mm film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Medium format and 35 mm film.

I have been researching on medium format and 35mm film and find it quiet interesting. I got myself an old canon 1 VHS and loaded it with fuji velvia 100 slide film. What I found is that it forces me to think more about exposure and how to correctly expose for the scene by trying to take accurate meter readings as I know that it is a very sensitive film and there is little room for mistakes. I have shot half the roll now taking notes of the settings including the meter readings and my decisions on why I made the setting.

I am really liking the process and was also researching into medium format like 4x5 6x17 panorama etc want to know what others think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use medium format film and it does make you slow down and check and recheck your settings. One benefit of it, is that with continued use, you learn to get a fairly accurate idea of the settings needed, given the light, even before you start using your light meter etc. It teaches you to 'see' the amount of light and calculate reasonably accurately the settings needed in your head. Though I still always use my light meter to check.

Using film is a great way to get a better understanding of your camera, it slows you down even just for making sure you have the exact composition you want, before pressing the shutter.
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-04-2012 at 8:34am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a little Canon Canonet that I run 35mm B+W through for fun and it's great. Really forces you to slow down alot! Using the Hasselblad's at uni is a similar experience. Just give it a go, you haven't got much to lose.

If you want to pick up a medium format body I'd look at the blad's or bronica's. But there are a lot of other types floating around.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can all say that again!!!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick yes I find it a different experience from digital and a very good learning experience though I have not yet processed the first role I am sure there will be a lot of corrections I will need to make. I chose the transparency film because in terms of how to expose it correctly it closely matches the digital technique by averaging out the exposure I have ordered a light meter to take incident meter readings rather than reflected. I have ordered the sekonic 758 from reviews I have heard that it is better than the cameras metering and more accurate.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike

I thought about the medium format cameras but more inclined towards panoramas using 120 film. Thinking of a Linhof technorama 617 or fuji gx617 like the idea of a linhof better as it is still being manufactured but the price factor is stopping me.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something you have to be a bit weary of when using old secondhand film camera equipment.

It's now old and quite well used .. even if kept in 'pristine' condition, and they degenerate even without use.
    What can happen, and has happened to my older film cameras, is that the shutter mechanism can become inaccurate(usually slower than expected).

Your 1/60s shutter speed may in reality be only 1/40s or so, thus over exposing. Best to take a few test shots for proper exposure before spending too much on film.

In general a higher end model from a well known branded camera manufacturer will provide better results in terms of performance.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    Mike

I thought about the medium format cameras but more inclined towards panoramas using 120 film. Thinking of a Linhof technorama 617 or fuji gx617 like the idea of a linhof better as it is still being manufactured but the price factor is stopping me.

It's not the same as 617, or as compact, but have you considered an old 4x5 view camera with a 6x12 back? This can give you tilt, which is quite useful for landscape, and the medium format (6x12) back is easier to use/process than 4x5 sheets. Just a thought.

JJ

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something helpful to film togs (actually everyone) is understanding EV, Sunny 16 etc.

Here is the reference section http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for..._Sunny_16_rule
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dwarak,
    I went (maybe still going through) toying with MF.
    I had a P67ii and a few lenses and yep, you treat every photo as precious because it is going to cost you and you dont want to waste it.
    You take extra care with comp, exp etc and get everything as right as possible before hitting the trigger. I find using a fixed focal length lens a little bit similar because it makes you think harder about compositions too.

I dearly wish I could justify a 617 camera. I did a lot of research and hunter for bargains but just never hit the button.
    FWIW, the best value I found is called a DAYI 617 which you can also get in 624 and very quickly change to 617 or 612. They all have shift function as well and I have seen one in the flesh, they are a very well built rugged camera with a dark slide and removable backs. Get a 90mm or 75mm lens and thats it.
    Brand new they are $1000 AUS from hong kong ebay but they are available off the shelf in China (where i am on holidays at the moment) in the large camera stores. I didnt realise how big 617 cameras were till i saw one !!!!

Bargains like the fuji617 can be had on ebay for under $2000 and also these camera dont wear out because they are crude and rudementary.
    Cheers Neil
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips guys I did my own research on these ones. Yes the gaoersi I saw that one for under 1000 interesting piece and it's new hears it's built quality is good apparently manufactured using precision CNC machines. It is a cheaper alternative and the real quality is in the lens used I guess people were talking about flatness of the film etc being the same as the any other 617 the results are also stunning. I am considering it as well though setting it up for focus can be a bit tricky as I read a review in iPhoto uk. I am getting a schnider 90mm super angulon with a view finder to suit the focal length. It also comes with the centre filter.

Last edited by Dwarak; 11-04-2012 at 1:30pm.