Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ColorMunki Display vs Spyder 2 colorimeter

Hullo

I have a Mac 27" desktop computer

Prior to Lion coming out I calibrated my Computer with the i1Display 2 colorimeter - Unfortunately this particular version is no longer compatible with Lion. I downloaded the update known as i1Profiler D2Lion Edition. There is a lack of information on best method to use this - . Thus my screen is never calibrated correctly. I tried support from x-Rite no joy as far as a fruitful response.

My thinking is looking to purchase the ColorMunki Display or the Spyder Color 4 Express. All I want is an easy quality colorimeter to calibrate my computer screen.

Being an Apple screen there one cannot adjust the brightness or luminance value

Anybody out there with experience on these matters

thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Colormunki Photo. I use it to profile my monitor and printer. it works very well and is easy to use. what i see on the screen is what i get in print.
    yes i have heard the tech support is less than average. but this is only what i have heard and have never needed to contact them myself.
    I use third party inks, so having the ability to profile my printer is a must for me.
    I use a PC so can not commet on Apple. sorry

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use PC and have spyder 3, the new spyder 4 has been getting rave reviews. If you are unsure, perhaps contact both companies, tell then what you are seeking and using Apple, and tell them you will decide on a device based on their replies. Make them work to get you as a customer.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ColorMunki Display vs Spyder 2 colorimeter

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I use PC and have spyder 3, the new spyder 4 has been getting rave reviews. If you are unsure, perhaps contact both companies, tell then what you are seeking and using Apple, and tell them you will decide on a device based on their replies. Make them work to get you as a customer.

Thank you both for your response - I will get in touch with the company

Sue

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always thought that having a Mac of some sort, in a way makes the process of calibration almost unnecessary.

That is, if you join a Mac group of some kind and find someone else that has the same Mac setup as yourself, all you need do is download their screen profile if they have one.

Mac hardware is all basically cloned.
    Most PC hardware is an amalgamation of bits of this and bits of that and so on, but for the same set of hardware on the same OS platform, an already made up monitor calibration should be 99% accurate.

i.e. .. that's Mac!

Same would apply to a series of Windows PC from the same manufacturer .. eg. a particular Dell model with the same hardware specs.
    But due to the patchwork quilt nature of PC hardware and the fact that 99% of Windows PCs will almost certainly all have unique hardware configurations loading another screen calibration is usually not going to work properly!

Before you purchase any more gear, I'd suggest to research your Mac's hardware specs(there must be a model number somewhere) and then search through Apple's support website to see if they have a monitor profile for download.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

olorMunki Display vs Spyder 2 colorimeter

Hi Arthur
    All computer screens that use an Editing application to edit photos need to be calibrated - In this instance a monitor profile will not assist - all screens the color fades over time and need to be calibrated to achieve the correct colors for the color of the printed photo to meet what we see on the screen.

I appreciate your input

Sue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creativepro View Post
    Hi Arthur
    All computer screens that use an Editing application to edit photos need to be calibrated - In this instance a monitor profile will not assist - all screens the color fades over time and need to be calibrated to achieve the correct colors for the color of the printed photo to meet what we see on the screen.

I appreciate your input

Sue

good points Sue, downloading a monitor profile and applying it across any monitor is a big no-no for any serious editing and monitor considerations.

for example, I have 2 Dell monitors for editing at home, they are the exact same models calibrated with Color Munki, but one is stationary monitor which never leaves home, and the other one is a mobile monitor that I take on locations for tethering work. The latter needs to be calibrated more regularly as it is constantly being shifted around and its colour/white balance shifts a lot quicker than the one that remains fixed at home.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hve used the Spyder 3 Express for about 7 months and find it excellent. My Video card calibration does drift to a degree and I calibrate about every 2 weeks and the calibration appears to be very consistant on my Samsung 24" monitor.
    Not sure about the Mac monitor but I did initially have issues so read the manual - There is a auto feature on my Samsung that allows for auto adjustment of the monitor against the current light conditions - this screwswith the calibration. Turn auto adjust off and all is superb. My vote for the Spyder.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mike