User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  56
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are 'we' just a little bit precious?

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Maybe we had better run another poll this year to get some more current figures.

This thread started in Sept. 2010 goes someway to answering your question Stu.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-photographing
    Thanks Andrew, It just makes me wonder who the loudest complainers of this truly are - Full time professionals or is it the "Weekend warriors/hobbyists/part timers/casuals (what ever you want to call them)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuey View Post

5. How many part timers / hobbists / casuals / weekend warriors (call them what you like - people that have full time paying employment else where) that are members here have done free shoots on so called spec, sent free images to papers/magazines etc just to get a so called photo credit ( as that is what really helps promote your business apparently ), or done TFP pictures with models / kids / families who are looking to increase their modeling port folios ( with out any charge what so ever ). ??

Stu
    Ok my story. That was me 2 years ago. Mainly because I didn't know where to start. I'm a single Dad with 2 kids and a full-time job (not photography). I've always loved photography and have been convinced by others to get "into it" more. I took endless photos of my own kids, and then photos of friend's kids. Then a friend of a friend asked me to take photos of their kids (mothers groups can be gossipy and competitive!) but insisted on paying me. The results were pretty good, so I wanted more practice and offered free shoots to 9 of my parent-friends, and ALL accepted (I was hoping for 3 or 4). So a dozen or so photoshoots later, I found that I had a knack for it - not just the photography part, but actually connecting with the kids and the parents and getting them to feel comfortable and natural in front of the lens. Then I was referred to a sports photography company that was recruiting freelancers for a fun run. Then my brother-in-law asked for some corporate headshots for his company, and he slipped me $100 for the effort. Then another friend wanted a tog for her jewellery exhibition, and another mother-friend was starting an invitation design business. Then I stumbled upon a girl wanting to start a model portfolio, so I did a TFP. Finally, a colleague at work got married and wasn't even going to have a photographer, but eventually asked if I was interested and only wanted "1 or 2 half-decent" shots, which will probably remain the easiest specification for a wedding ever! But I photo-journalism-ed the whole thing, and was happy with the outcome. So my experience was growing but without really trying too hard. It became inevitable that I would start to charge money, as I was drifting away from the creative art side of photography and down the commercial lines. So I secured an ABN, invested in some better glass, insurance, etc. Now, I have more wedding bookings, regular commerical work, a lot of mothers group friends who continue to have babies, and their friends, and so on. Bottom line is a portfolio, built on free to cheap photography - but not because I want to be a cowboy, but because it was a great way to immerse in the industry, even for a while, and find what it was that I liked and what I was good at. Now I'm at the point where I want to focus my niche into an area that I prefer and work on that skill. Probably never to be a career photographer (I'm too risk-averse for that), but a chance to do something fascinating and different to my regular job.

I have no issue with the way I've built experience. I haven't had an unhappy client yet, so maybe I was underselling myself. But I've now got so much more experience than I ever could have imagined, and am starting to truly understand both my limits and my potential. Something I may not have ever realised if I just stuck to photographing jetties at sunrise.

And the whole time I've never let go of the reason I took up photography. To be creative and enjoy making images. The main difference is that now I understand my equipment better and can actually afford those extra lenses to pursue my hobby. With the 5DMkIII out, maybe I should revise my fees
    http://bit.ly/dnc5cT

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmahong View Post
    Ok my story. ----- Huge Snip ------ With the 5DMkIII out, maybe I should revise my fees
    Excellent.

Go forth and conquer Ged.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I applaud the sentiment expressed throughout this entire thread. It's hard to know what side of the fence to stand on when you're starting out, and its amazing how emotive the discussions can get. I'm just starting out photographically speaking, but have enough life experience to know that at times you just have to put yourself out there regardless of the naysayers, and if what you do works for you and your clients, you are doing just fine. There are no facts, and negativity breeds negativity, so I think any thread which recommends less judging of other photographers and more positivity can only be a good thing.
    I appreciate and value constructive criticism...

Humble beginnings: D700, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 20mm f/2.8, Nikon D90 (with optional battery grip), Nikon 35mm f/1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Nikon 10-24mm DX, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D ED, SB-700, CPL filters, Cokin NGD filter (soft/grey), Cokin ND filter 8, Hitech Prostop 10 ND filter, Manfrotto National Geographic Tripod, Adobe Photoshop CS5

www.simontepoortenphotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't agree more with this post.
    Live Fast Die Fun

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234