User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  56

Thread: Are 'we' just a little bit precious?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are 'we' just a little bit precious?

In the past I started a thread about 'stay-at-home-mum's (and others) who join up on forums, or create a facebook page, where they have purchased (or been given) a DSLR and they announce the next week they are setting up a business, and what made them think photography was an easy career path. It created an interesting debate.

So now, here I go again.

Why is it that we feel so precious that we have to 'protect' this photography industry? After all, photography doesn't require a person to be registered with a government body, we don't need a university degree to practice. If someone gets a $300.00 photographer for their wedding and are happy with the photos, why should we care? After all, if they think $300.00 is a good price, they are never going to pay $1500 or more to a full-time professional, and were never likely to. So we are not missing out on income, cause we would not have got the client, no matter what.

So why should we be concerned about 'start-ups' via facebook etc, who market to the lower end of the consumer market? After all, if the photographer and client are happy, why should we give a rats? If your photography business plan is to charge $1500 for a wedding, why are you threatened by the $300.00 photographer down the road? After all, aren't your clients from a differing socio-economic group? You do know who your clients are, don't you? and you do know what sort of client you don't want, also?
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-04-2012 at 8:00pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography