Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: How to reduce photo size for USB/Internet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to reduce photo size for USB/Internet

Hi All,
    I am by no means a tech person & thought I had managed to successfully reduce the size of my photos through the Canon Digital Photo Professional software. I selected the batch process and chose the width as 2,000 pixels. Perhaps I am way off track here as when trying to move to a 16GB blank USB, I am only able to get 2-3 photos on it before it tells me it is full.
    I do also have Elements 9 but do not know how to reduce the size of the photos.
    Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this so I can share my photos?

Thanks,
    Katt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have more than re-sizing issues going on. On my 7D shooting RAW gives me a 20-30Mb image so even at the largest size I could fit 530 images on a 16Gb drive. I would make a guess you are shooting jpg images and as these are compressed they are only around 5Mb so you should be able to fit 2,000 images before you even bother re-sizing. Are you sure the USB is actually empty? Are you sure it's 16Gb not an old 16Mb one? For web I generally re-size to 1024 on the longest size for most forums and usually only 800 high on verticals as it fits nicer on screens. I don't have elements but it's probably EDIT>Image size.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the AP forums, under the TUTORIALS is a resizing photos for the internet tutorial. It can be easily converted to use with Elements (its written for PS)
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Using DPP you can also reduce you file size by reducing the Image quality setting.
    Capture.JPG

Play with that.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch what you are saving the file as. Saving as psd files can get real big, real quick. Photoshop elements doesn't make it obvious - too many odd questions such as "you have to save it as a copy with these settings" (Well duh. What does it think I was trying to do?)

I save as jpeg, and use the following settings - longest side 1024 pixels, save as jpg, quality between 8 and 10. I find this gives files about 250 to 350 kb in size.

Regards,
    Rob
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4