Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Suggestions for new "walk around" lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions for new "walk around" lens

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade from my kit lenses for my 7D. I take a lot of outdoor photos - kids sport, landscapes, low light stuff like fireworks. Can anyone suggest a good Canon "walk around" lens in the $1000-1500 region? Can I get a decent pro lens in this price range or should I save a bit more cash?

Appreciate any advice.

Nicole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little over budget but this would be a good start http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4372.htm (im looking at getting this lens in the near future)
    Last edited by Holstein; 01-04-2012 at 11:03pm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 550D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM - Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di ll LD IF - Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens - Canon 50mm f/1.8 Prime

My Flickr Page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicole

I don't know which kit lenses you have but I also have a 7d and my walk around lens is a canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 and I am very happy with it. It generally has very good write ups.
    I am reading the Febuary edition of PhotoPlus magazine at the moment (which is in newsagent s now)and they have a write up/ comparison of standard zooms for crop cameras like ours in which they describe the Canon EF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS USM as Quote " This is the nearest thing to a fully professional, L series lens in Canon's stable, even if Canon never give the Luxury tag to EF-S lenses. The Zoom range is modest and Image stabilisation is an older generation but, image quality is sublime!" This lens might be worth a look.

They also tested two L series lenses The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and the EF 24-105mm f/4/L IS USM which didn't get as good a write up as the two lenses I mentioned above. They tested a few other brands as well.

It might be worth getting the mag and using it as a starting point for your research!
    Good Luck and I hope this helps.
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicole,

You essentially have three choices:

1: wide and long but slow. Many choices including quite a few good ones but the Canon EF-S 15-85/3.5-5.6 is the clear best choice of all. An absolutely brilliant lens: great build quality, latest and best IS, excellent IQ, and very versatile with an 85mm long end and a best-in-class 15mm wide end.

2: Wide(ish) and fast but short. Again, several good choices, but the best is the rather expensive Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS. If 55mm is long enough and 17mm is wide enough, this is a superb lens.

3: Fast(ish) and long but not wide. The Canon 24-105/4 IS is excellent in every way .... but it is not nearly wide enough at the wide end to be a good walkaround lens on 1.6 crop. Lens swapping will drive you mad unless you go to a two body solution. On a full frame body, the 24-105 comes into its own (it acts like a 15-65/4). Similar comments apply to the 24-70/2.8 and one or two third-party lenses.

It all depends on your own desires and style, but my #1 choice as a general-purpose lens for crop is the outstanding 15-85. Sure, I'd like f/2.8 but I have to sacrifice quite a bit of length (that 55-85mm range is very useful) and even more width - yep, it's only 2mm, but with 15mm at the wide end I can (just) get away without an ultra-wide, where at 17mm that's not even on the radar - I need two lenses.

PS: don't even think about a superzoom (18-200 or etc.). You already have cheap lenses that can do things badly. Why get an expensive lens for that same role?
    Tony

Nobody reads signatures. For proof, refer to my previous one.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Canon EF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS USM on my 40D is a fantastic lens I love it.. Its sharp and fast.

Its not a L series lens though I prefer it to my Canon EF 24-105mm f/4/L IS USM Lens that came as the kit lens for my 5D Mk11

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kit lenses do you have?
    What precisely are the problems with the kit lenses you have?
    Specifically mentioning why they cannot:
    - make good landscapes pictures?
    - make good pictures of (what?) sports
    - make good pictures of Fireworks
    AND - are there low light shootingscenarios, OTHER than fireworks.

WW