User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: small step ladders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

small step ladders

was thinking about small step ladders for shoots. They fold and sell at hardware stores for $30 for a 3 step with frame. but when I walked in I found them so heavy! about 4-5kg! There was only 1 with wheels, that was even heavier. you wouldn't be able to use these w/o an assistant or two!

Anyone know where I could find light ones? I've handled lighter ones in the past at random places. Or is it new ones are heavy due to some safety rules?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont forget with a 3 step ladder
    if your on a workplace and your using it you can only use the bottom two steps
    so if you want to get higher you are going to need a higher ladder than a 3 step

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even tho the 3 step ladder has a frame that sticks out on top? like a railing, so u can kinda lean on it and know where you are.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    even tho the 3 step ladder has a frame that sticks out on top? like a railing, so u can kinda lean on it and know where you are.
    Yep, it breaches safety laws to stand on the top rung. They are all 4-5 kgs or more, as the have to be sturdy enough to hold a person. Most are rated to 100kgs or more, and if they made them lighter (thus thinner aluminium tubing) they would not pass safety requirements for strength.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    They are all 4-5 kgs or more

I guess my question changes a bit then. If a ladder is 5kg, then is it realistic to think one would use it much? For these 2 situations:

1) portrait shoot, where you are also bringing 1 light stand+box. likely to have assistant
    2) real-time event shoot (eg wedding or other party etc). these ladders see much wider than the ones I had in mind, so maybe space becomes an issue too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned one of these for about 5 years. It is very sturdy, even on grass. It has a very large top step which even my size-13 hoofs can get a good grip on, it's cheap and it's light (3kg) and it's made by Bailey, so it's good quality. I think I got mine from Bunnings. We use it around the house and I've used it on every portrait shoot and car shoot I've been on in the time I've owned it.

Bailey Handistep Polypropylene
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. I was looking at things similar to http://baileyladders.com.au/products...p-stools-100kg
    the 3 step one... it says 6kg there!

I'm not very tall so I wanted a 3 that would be useful around the house too to fix lights etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use one of those collapsible luggage trolleys to shlepp it and your other gear around. I use one for my LF gear when I'm out and about (trolley, that is).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pity they don't make them out of carbon fibre or titanium, but I guess they would cost a fortune then.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.