Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check in or Carry on when travelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jollie View Post
    right....that seems to be quite unanimous so carry it on it is.........so does your camera bag count as your only carry on bag, or can you take another one as well?
    I take my gear carry on. Actually anything electronic is carry on, I took a work laptop to NZ in checked luggage but I didn't have an option. Also apart from very long international flights I try and always have my camera bag under the seat in front. I'm 6'2", so it's a pain with legroom without a bag there, but better that than broken gear from an inconsiderate pax.

Re: baggage, I've flown Qantas Y (Econ) internationally with 2 bags carry on (1 camera, 1 souvenir) and was not asked any questions. This has happened multiple times. However, my camera gear bag is a Kata sling style, quite small but long. If you have more of a bigger backpack style they may come down on you.

Would be best to check with the rules of the airline and what class you're flying. I believe Qantas recently changed carry on rules, so what I've said may not be a huge help.
    Last edited by jmrocky; 12-07-2012 at 2:16pm.

Formerly: burntofferings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just returned from Europe, and I have, and always will, have my bag as carry on...

Having said that, I did have an altercation with security (of all people) in Amsterdam... the security officer, instead of doing his job and telling people what to do, was way to busy chatting up two girls ahead of me. Instead of asking me to take out laptop, and open for inspection, (which I normally do anyway being a seasoned flyer), when I got through, my bag was siezed as I did not take out my camera gear!! Aparently, I had to take out the body, 50-500, 75-300, 18-55, all of my additional filters EVERYTHING had lens caps removed as with body caps... What really p'eed me most, when challenged to talk in English so as I can understand what was being said, they got all upptie at me, when ALL I wanted was an explination of whats happenning... I explained to them, that had he (pointed) done his job instead of chatting up some girls, then we would not have been having this discussion... Fell on deaf ears I'm afraid!!

so, if you're taking it as cabin baggage, see if they ask you to take it out for x-ray!

FWIW, my bag had my gear AND a 15" MacBook Pro and weighed a tonne!!!!

My FLICKR pics, and my blog, AussiePomm
    Next trip: Norway and The Netherlands June '12
    -----------------
    Canon 7D + SIGMA APO 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12