Thread: Check in or Carry on when travelling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check in or Carry on when travelling

I'm heading over to Bali shortly for my sisters wedding and was looking to take my camera gear accross as she's asked me to take some pictures at the reception. I'd also like to get out and take some photos for myself anyway. When travelling do you usually take your camera gear as carry on luggage or in your checked suitcase?

Most of my gear is current in a lowpro flipside 300 so it should hopefully if i decide to pack it in my suitcase it should be relatively protected, I was just curious as to what other people do with their gear when travelling?

Alternatively should i get a new camera bag that has enough space to double as my carry on bag??
    Last edited by jollie; 31-03-2012 at 2:03pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take mine as carry on, I don't trust those baggage handlers
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your insurance policy. Checked luggage is usually considered "unattended" luggage. Personally, I'd be trying to carry it on.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never pack any electronic gear in a suitcase, especially when travelling OS.
    I had the Lowpro Mini Trecker Backpack filled it to 7Kg took it with me everywhere on and off many flights as carry on luggage

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carry on for me too. Also keep an eye on it when you put it in the overhead compartment, if space is running out people tend to jam their stuff in there.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always carry my gear as cabin luggage.

Like Bill, I don't trust baggage handlers.

There's also the issue that I can sometimes be carrying $15K worth of stuff, and I really don't want that out of my possession.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently returned from the USA where I had 30kg of camera gear. I took it all as carry on except chargers, batteries and the tripod and monopod. The weight was well disguised in my bags and it fit in the lockers no problem on A330/767/747 aircraft.

Depending on your chosen airline, they may be more nazi when it comes to enforcing restrictions. I flew Qantas as I always do, and had no issues. I have been challenged several times when flying domestically though, and had to check my Kiboko bag with about 16kg in it once as I couldn't jam it into the test rig and make it look lighter than 7kg...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a roll along camera bag and always take it with me as carry on luggage - I wouldn't trust putting it in the hold.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    carry on for me also. I sling a camera around my neck, the other around my wifes neck and the lenses in the bag. Keeps it within the weight limit. Cameras go on the floor at my feet during the flight.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you may find the airlines suggest you do not put valuables ie camera gear in your checked luggage. I always carry mine on, but do the same as fess67. I take the camera out and sling it over my shoulder (normally with the biggest lens I can find in my bag).

I have been stopped just before passport control to check the weight of my luggage - be careful if you are travelling from Tullamarine in Melbourne.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always carry mine on.

Just bought a Pelican 1510 as I was never happy with putting the Lowepro in the overhead. Although it fitted nicely under the seat I'd prefer the leg room.
    AKA Sean

Canon 5D MKII - 24-105L - 70-200 F4L IS - 70-300 IS USM - 28 1.8 - 35L 1.4 - 50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 100L Macro - 200L 2.8II - Tamron 17-35 2.8 - Sigma 150-500 - 430EX - and a stack of other bits and pieces.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carry on as well - except the tripods which we pack amongst clothes in a hard shelled bag
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carry on - always!
    *removed, members with less that 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot complain about service : read site rules 3-7*
    Last edited by ricktas; 01-04-2012 at 7:58pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep always carry on for me too
    Tania

CC always welcome http://www.taniafernandesphotography.com.au/
    Canon 5d iii, Canon 7d, 50 f/1.8 II, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100 f/2.8 USM Macro

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right....that seems to be quite unanimous so carry it on it is.........so does your camera bag count as your only carry on bag, or can you take another one as well?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jollie View Post
    right....that seems to be quite unanimous so carry it on it is.........so does your camera bag count as your only carry on bag, or can you take another one as well?
    What you can carry depends on the conditions imposed by your airline and the class in which you're travelling. The size, weight and quantity of the bag(s) are all factors.

You'd need to check the cabin baggae restrictions, as they vary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jollie View Post
    I take my gear carry on. Actually anything electronic is carry on, I took a work laptop to NZ in checked luggage but I didn't have an option. Also apart from very long international flights I try and always have my camera bag under the seat in front. I'm 6'2", so it's a pain with legroom without a bag there, but better that than broken gear from an inconsiderate pax.

Re: baggage, I've flown Qantas Y (Econ) internationally with 2 bags carry on (1 camera, 1 souvenir) and was not asked any questions. This has happened multiple times. However, my camera gear bag is a Kata sling style, quite small but long. If you have more of a bigger backpack style they may come down on you.

Would be best to check with the rules of the airline and what class you're flying. I believe Qantas recently changed carry on rules, so what I've said may not be a huge help.
    Last edited by jmrocky; 12-07-2012 at 2:16pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes , Only one and so long as it fits in the size thingo your usually OK , If it fits they dont weigh it usually , Just my experience only

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how much I'm taking. Usually just one bag, though sometimes I put my handbag in a small carry on wheelie bag with my lenses and use a small shoulder bag with my camera in it as my 'handbag'.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, have you ever looked out the plane window and seen the loadies throwing your luggage on. Carry on dude. I have a flipside 400 AW jam packed and have never had an issue with carry on.. I normally carry on my flipside and a tripod without issues.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast