Thread: 1DMk4 or 7D?

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tannin.

I think that response was why I posed the question. All I can go on is paper based reviews, what I wanted was experience from people who have used the thing to quantify the difference.

Minister of finance has approved the project......expect a new addition to the family within a week

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Fess. That's good news. You will love it.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help with which one to buy but I have seen the 1Dmkiv going for $3,692 brand new at http://outbackphoto.com.au/
    My stuff.Canon 5DMk11 Canon 40d BG-E2N Canon 17/40 F.4 L
    Canon 400 F5.6 L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1d4 if I were you.
    Last edited by larrywen; 02-04-2012 at 2:15pm.
    Be happy, life is beautiful, even through a humble point and shoot camera
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - what a strange comparison. So... what to eat - I'm not sure if I want a cherry or an entire watermelon?

They are completely different pieces of gear. Personally I would not think of the 1.3x crop as a bad thing - if you want it to look like 1.6x, just crop your files in post. The 1D series absolutely kill anything else as far as autofocus and frame rate. Add to that they are a tough camera. Up until a bit over a year ago I still had my 1DmkII, it was fantastic for what used it for (mainly motorsports). I'm a firm believer that megapixels are not everything, I'd take a larger sensor any day. But if money is no problem, then the 1DmkIV, wow - what a camera. I'd bet you would swear you will never need another camera ever again. But then, like most things, it is just down to money...

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugget View Post
    Wow - what a strange comparison. So... what to eat - I'm not sure if I want a cherry or an entire watermelon?

They are completely different pieces of gear. Personally I would not think of the 1.3x crop as a bad thing - if you want it to look like 1.6x, just crop your files in post. The 1D series absolutely kill anything else as far as autofocus and frame rate. Add to that they are a tough camera. Up until a bit over a year ago I still had my 1DmkII, it was fantastic for what used it for (mainly motorsports). I'm a firm believer that megapixels are not everything, I'd take a larger sensor any day. But if money is no problem, then the 1DmkIV, wow - what a camera. I'd bet you would swear you will never need another camera ever again. But then, like most things, it is just down to money...
    Yeah I hear you. But when doing the research things were coming up that made the 7D seem like one hell of a camera. Things like it shares its autofocus system with the new 1Dx........now to my basic mind that is a pretty heavyweight camera to be using the 7D stuff, erfo the 7D must be good?.......yadda yadda. etc.

Either way, the 1Dmkiv is on the way so the end of this week has been promoted from Easter to Christmas

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just upgraded to a 5D Mark III and think this is a nice "in between" the 7D and the 1D MkIV: Full Frame, 61 AF points (very well performing as far as I can judge from the ca. 200 shots taken so far) 6fps, dual memory slots.....

Surf on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic here, but damn that is a very nice photo, sharp crisp and very clear colours.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice shot. I think the choice to go 1Dmkiv was the correct one given I already have the 5Dmkii. I am not sure the 5Dmkiii would have given that big a point of difference and I also wanted the crop factor to help give a little bit more range.

Picked it up on the way home from work tonight so the battery is on charge. Planning a session over the holiday weekend

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will be a bit underwhelmed to begin with. Well, you could be. Don't fuss about that, just use the camera. In a few weeks time, ask yourself "how do I like it?" or "could I go back to the 50D?". The 1D grows on you, there is more to it than you realise till you spend time working with it and, after a while, it's just part of who you are and what you do. You'd no more go out to take pictures without your 1D than you'd go out to take pictures without your trousers.

Well .... come to think of it I have gone out and taken pictures with a 1D and no trousers. it was a lot more fun than going out to take pictures with trousers and no 1D.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    ...Was reading a while back of a full time wildlife photographer in the US, Montanna or somewhere. He wanders out in the mountains for days at a time hiking and travelling light. His only kit is a 7D & a 100-400....
    Travelling light? His previous career must have been in furniture removals.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    You will be a bit underwhelmed to begin with. Well, you could be. Don't fuss about that, just use the camera. In a few weeks time, ask yourself "how do I like it?" or "could I go back to the 50D?". The 1D grows on you, there is more to it than you realise till you spend time working with it and, after a while, it's just part of who you are and what you do. You'd no more go out to take pictures without your 1D than you'd go out to take pictures without your trousers.

Well .... come to think of it I have gone out and taken pictures with a 1D and no trousers. it was a lot more fun than going out to take pictures with trousers and no 1D.
    Had a quick play......trousers on so it is family friendly!!

WOW. focus speed is amazing. Just messing with birds in the back yard and sheesh this thing grabs hold and does not let go. I have not messed with any settings yet.

Hooked up the 100-400 and 1.4ex...sooo, coupled with the 1.3 crop factor that gives me an effective focal length of 728. Handheld at 1/500...crisp shots.

Hoping to go find some wedge tails over the weekend. will post up if I get any.

ps. messing at work yesterday. ISO 12800.....OMG. totally acceptable 'work' shots. amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're gonna love it
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    Had a quick play......trousers on so it is family friendly!!

WOW. focus speed is amazing. Just messing with birds in the back yard and sheesh this thing grabs hold and does not let go. I have not messed with any settings yet.

Hooked up the 100-400 and 1.4ex...sooo, coupled with the 1.3 crop factor that gives me an effective focal length of 728. Handheld at 1/500...crisp shots.

Hoping to go find some wedge tails over the weekend. will post up if I get any.

ps. messing at work yesterday. ISO 12800.....OMG. totally acceptable 'work' shots. amazing.
    Need to post up some pics for all of us to have a look at.

EDIT:I just found a pic of a wedge tailed eagle you posted sorry.
    Last edited by Gonk0; 08-04-2012 at 6:20pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 7d. Upgraded from the cameras in my signature. I cannot believe how good this camera is. 6400 ISO is very usable. I wont be hesitating at all. Autofocus is pretty good. Its a great camera.

Also for the $1070 or so dollars its an absolute joke for the price.

I miss full frame, but this camera is excellent, more than makes up for it. I like the 1-series but for me it muddles up lens lengths too much.
    Using a 7d or a s95
    Advice and Edits welcome
    http://adamrose.wordpress.com/ [/CENTER]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugget View Post
    Errr ..... but why? I mean, why wouldn't you want to compare Canon's best sport & wildlife camera with Canon's second-best sport and wildlife camera? Strikes me that it would be pretty strange to compare the 1D IV with anything except the 7D unless you were segueing into studio type stuff and considering a 1Ds III. Come to think of it, you could also compare the Mark IV with the new 1D X, but I always forget about that one because it's nowhere near suitable for the bird and wildlife tasks I use a 1 Series camera for. Sport people may feel differently if they don't need the reach of the 1D IV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    I miss full frame, but this camera is excellent, more than makes up for it. I like the 1-series but for me it muddles up lens lengths too much.
    1.6x crop is less confusing that 1.3x crop? Fair enough...

BTW which version 1DS did you have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Errr ..... but why?
    It's a strange comparison because it's a pro body, which by nature means it's in a completely different league to anything else. Not just when it comes to price, but also features and build quality.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    Travelling light? His previous career must have been in furniture removals.
    It may seem odd, but where the norm for most of that work is a 1D series body (or 2) & a big prime (or 2) along with a selection of other lenses. A single 7D & a 100-400 is a lightweight kit., relatively speaking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12