User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 18-200 or similar zoom lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

18-200 or similar zoom lens

To cut a long story short, my existing EFS 17-85 lens has packed up, and won't take any shots at less than 30mm settings, though it's OK from 30 to 85mm.

However, I need a new general purpose lens to complement my 12-25, and 100-400 lenses.

I am thinking about a Sigma/Canon/Tokina in the 18-200 range. Does anyone have experience with these lenses, and prepared to offer suggestions for the pros and cons in your experience. I was looking at a Canon 18 to 200 the other day, and noted that unless you hold the barrel of the lens quite firmly, it tended to zoom in very easily. Is this what is referred to as lens creep? I think that would be most annoying, but is it a standard feature of this lens, or was this just a poor example?

Any helpful information would be much appreciated.

Oh! If anyone knows of a quick fix for the problem I have on the 17-85, please let me know, but I doubt whether it would be worthwhile getting it repaired at say 60% of the replacement cost.
    Cheers, Mike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 18-200 and it does the same so I think that is perhaps just normal for that.
    Be happy, life is beautiful, even through a humble point and shoot camera
    Flickr