Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Fishpond - any one used them - your thoughts

Ausphotography Regular KevPride's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fishpond - any one used them - your thoughts

Since ordering a book though Fishpond via this site I'm wondering if anybody has bought from them and what outcomes they have had.

Choosing my words carefully here.
    Regards
    Kevin

Pentax K3, Pentax Tamron Sigma short glass
    Nikon D500. nikkor 200-500 f5.6.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have bought one ( maybe two ) books from them and the prices were OK, the delivery was prompt and without damage.

No negative experience here.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used them once and had no problems. Fishpond price with free shipping was slightly cheaper than Amazon + shipping. Delivery took around 2-3 weeks which was within their estimated timeframe (book was apparently shipped from UK even though a US publication). I'd be happy to use them again. (Amazon btw quoted a slightly longer shipping time for their cheapest shipping cost).

Something to keep an eye out for is that books can sometimes be published both in the US and UK (eg "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman) and from memory the prices can vary a bit between versions.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, 2 +tives which is good to hear. After reading negatives elsewhere I was starting to doubt myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have purchased 4 books from them on 2 separate occasions with no issues. Delivery took a week or two. I would happily buy from them again.
    Nikon D90, 18-200VR II, Tokina 100mm Macro, Sigma 150-500, Nikkor 35mm, Giotto Rocket Air Blower

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought a few books off them and had no problems.. I paid no postage on the last book and I would buy from them again..

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Kev

My missus seems to receive 1 book a week from Fishpond > no problems over the past year or so

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought books and a few games off them and had no problems at all. If you're expecting them to arrive within a couple of days because it has an Australian site then you might be a bit disappointed, but I was fully aware it could take a couple of weeks or so and everything I've ordered has arrived within the time they've indicated. Their prices on books (and games) are really good in my experience.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also purchased from there before without any issues and the book was almost half price to what i could get it here at the time.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well its 4.5 weeks (23 business days) since I paid and still nothing. Sent an email today, see what response I get.
    Last edited by KevPride; 28-03-2012 at 4:36pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have purchased a number of times from Fishpond and delivery is very slow - around 4 to 5 weeks. At Christmas time they had a sale on Nerf guns and advertised that if you ordered now it would be recieved in time for Christmas.

The Nerf guns didn't arrive until the first week of the new year - I was really disappointed with their attitude when I complained too, they basically said "oh well - it's Christmas time, we're busy" (tell that to the 8 year old who recieved an ammo box and lots of extra ammo that I had bought elsewhere but no Nerf gun to shoot with) so I told them I would not be shopping with them again and I haven't.

The slow postage on books is usually because they get them from UK suppliers first and then re-ship when they land in Sydney but there was no excuse for the Nerf guns that were already in their Aussie stock.

There are similar companies like Nile and The Book Depositry (UK) - in my experience, I have recieved books from them in the same amount of time as you would from Fishpond and their is no postage charges with The Book Depositry too.
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arrived today. Non of the dates sent to me by email match up with the actual post date on the item.

I did get a fast email back last night but it did not answer any of my questions.

So they will not get any of my money in the future.

Hope others have better luck with them.