Thread: Images for Logo/Business Cards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Images for Logo/Business Cards

I have some photo's I have taken at various amateur sporting events and would like to use them on a small logo, do I need to get permission from the people in the photo's before using them? The size will be very small and the individuals will not be recognisable, if that makes any difference. Thanks, Andrew

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are using there image for commercial promotion (even if your own business), YES! Cause even if small, but someone recognises themselves, you could find yourself in court. They will argue that they do not support your business and you have used their image to promote your services/business, and that using their image associates them as 'approving' of your business activites, which they have not agreed to.
    Last edited by ricktas; 22-03-2012 at 1:00pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick, Does that apply to a beach landscape image as well if you sell it ? Someone I know maybe better go and check all his saleable images
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Hi Rick, Does that apply to a beach landscape image as well if you sell it ? Someone I know maybe better go and check all his saleable images
    Not really, cause the beach landscape is not being used to 'commercially promote' the business, or a product, etc. It is merely a photo of a public space that included people. However if this landscape photo was say bought by Coca-Cola to use to promote their product, then it could be an issue, cause the association between the people in the photo and the coca-cola product is tenuous.
    Last edited by ricktas; 22-03-2012 at 1:31pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick, thanks for the info, I thought that might be the case but it's always good to get some advice from people in the know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Image bought by "Coca Cola" I wish Thanks for the info mate