Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 National Portrait Prize Winner

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FallingHorse View Post
    I didn't think much of the winning entry either. ....
    And I actually don't think much of the other images either.
    Maybe this defined best, what a portrait is, to the judges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    It would seem that I am a lone voice. I don't think it's a bad photo at all. It may even be an excellent photo, though it is hard to tell with a small jpeg. At least I find it hard to tell. Apart from that, I do think his face shows a lot of character and it is relaxed. Does he really have celebrity status? I've never heard of him, but he is of the stolen generation, so I guess that makes him a celebrity. Small reward!!!
    Steve, your not a lone voice - its just hard to get involved in these kinds of threads when things are very subjective and also when the average punter believes he or she could do better.

I personally would hold judgement on any of these until i had seen them as they are meant to be, printed and hung on a wall and remembering that art is past the bounds of a what people perceive to be a technically good photo.
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing wrong with passing judgement on the photo, the photo was entered to be judged.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    There's nothing wrong with passing judgement on the photo, the photo was entered to be judged.
    And the judges judged.
    Now it's our opinion.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    And the judges judged.
    Now it's our opinion.
    Our judgemental opinion.......on a photography forum. Pretty hard to have a beef with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The face may have a lot of character, but the image does absolutely nothing to accentuate or highlight this. The fact that his face has character is a virtue of the subject, not the photographer.

I went to a performance of his, sort of autobiographical theatre. Very candid about his life. Struggles with being one of the stolen generation, a former drug addict - seen a lot of pain in his life but I found him to be a fascinating, even inspiring individual with a complex and at times tragic life story.

The ONLY thing this image shows, at this level, is that he perhaps has a slight sense of humour because I think he's smirking a little. Aside from that, the image shows none of his character or his journey.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    Steve, your not a lone voice - its just hard to get involved in these kinds of threads when things are very subjective and also when the average punter believes he or she could do better.

I personally would hold judgement on any of these until i had seen them as they are meant to be, printed and hung on a wall and remembering that art is past the bounds of a what people perceive to be a technically good photo.
    Thanks Gerry. I could't see that it was undeserving and couldn't see why so much scorn was heaped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly think it was undeserving. When I look at these things I think about the comparison to my mum with a point and shoot - is there something which distinguishes this photo from every other photo on facebook, in someones holiday snaps or just your everyday photograph. When you read the backgrounds of some of the judges in these competitions though I think its pretty clear why you get the winners you do - heres a hint, they generally aren't the best photographers. its not that I think that I can do better, but more is there something that makes this image even remotely appealing to a wider audience.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    I honestly think it was undeserving. When I look at these things I think about the comparison to my mum with a point and shoot - is there something which distinguishes this photo from every other photo on facebook, in someones holiday snaps or just your everyday photograph. When you read the backgrounds of some of the judges in these competitions though I think its pretty clear why you get the winners you do - heres a hint, they generally aren't the best photographers. its not that I think that I can do better, but more is there something that makes this image even remotely appealing to a wider audience.
    Thats what I think the majority of people who are in the negative camp think - whats the difference between this and any other snapshot that we see daily? One would expect that a photo winning a prestigious award, have something that gives it something amazing that the vast majority "gets".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree. I think it is well thought out and clearly not a snap. The background compliments his clothes and the white provides a nice touch. But I guess that is just my opinion. I actually like the dock worker portrait the best but maybe that's my preference for street photography. Still. The winner is a good photo in my eyes

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does he really have celebrity status? I've never heard of him, but he is of the stolen generation, so I guess that makes him a celebrity.
    I had no idea about the status of the gentleman who is in the winning photograph until today because I simply didn't read the story on the linked page and simply let the images speak for themselves. My comment was directed towards ever so many competitions that encompass portraiture. So many times the winning entry is of someone well known, or to use my words, holds celebrity status. No, I am not one in the "negative camp" who thinks that they could have done better, if I thought that I would have entered the competition and found my own "celebrity" to photograph.
    I do however think that I have seen better portrait images amongst the entries that were on show for this prize before judging began.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnBloodbeard View Post

I went to a performance of his, sort of autobiographical theatre. Very candid about his life. Struggles with being one of the stolen generation, a former drug addict - seen a lot of pain in his life but I found him to be a fascinating, even inspiring individual with a complex and at times tragic life story.

The ONLY thing this image shows, at this level, is that he perhaps has a slight sense of humour because I think he's smirking a little. Aside from that, the image shows none of his character or his journey.
    Thanks Capn, it seems from your description that he is somewhat well known and from my point of view without knowing anything of his life I too see nothing in the portrait that tells his "story". Isn't that what a portrait or an image is supposed to do, to tell us something from an image without the viewer necessarily knowing anything about the subject?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree. I think it is well thought out and clearly not a snap

Aside from the clothes having a little bit of nice contrast, what strikes you as being well thought out? To me it looks like a lighting test shot ...'just stand there and I'll take a shot just to check the exposure, then we'll get on with the project'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think his face shows a lot of character as it is taken. To be able to guess at someones life by just looking at the face with no story is almost impossible - at least, most who claim they can do it have been shown to be charlatans. We often rely on some words to explain a picture and together they can make something much greater than the parts. As in this case.
    Some faces will strike a chord with some viewers and some will not, we have to accept that, but I would love to take lighting test shots like that one. Perhaps it was, and the photographer was clever enough to grab it from the discards and submit it. I guess it's very hard to objectively say why a photo is good or not, but I am surprised by the strong dislike so many here have shown for this photo. I think someone said it was overexposed, but I am unsure if you cam really tell from a small reproduction, and anyway - does that matter as long as it works.
    To Xenadir - do you really think this is similar to most facebook photos? I seen lots of really bad ones. This is clearly a formal portrait and perhaps the judges decided that "we want a formal portrait this year", but at least it is a good one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve... The photo is plain & ordinary, and pretty well boring.
    It's not until you read the story behing the photo, when the image gains a bit of feeling.
    But if you were in a cafe with plenty of images on a wall, you wouldn't give this image a second look. Unless you thought it may have been the owner.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I can see more in it than you can. And perhaps it is even better at a larger size? Have you not seen photos that really come to life when you can see the detail? Have you seen the full, large portrait? I haven't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    is that directed at my comment? if so i disagree, judgement (at least full judgement) should be with held until it is viewed as intended - is the image intended by viewed at 700px wide?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Steve... The photo is plain & ordinary, and pretty well boring.
    It's not until you read the story behing the photo, when the image gains a bit of feeling.
    But if you were in a cafe with plenty of images on a wall, you wouldn't give this image a second look. Unless you thought it may have been the owner.
    I think you should rephrase your response to include more 'I think 's Art is subjective, rest assured there are plenty of people who think this image is deserving and art.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnBloodbeard View Post
    The face may have a lot of character, but the image does absolutely nothing to accentuate or highlight this.
    Bear in mind here that I actually am not overly fussed with the image, however to state that the image does nothing to accentuate the facial character is a bit of a long stretch imo. How about white sweater matching the grey/white hair, the striped shirt colours, the BG and its texture and colour all could be argued to compliment the portrait.

Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    When you read the backgrounds of some of the judges in these competitions though I think its pretty clear why you get the winners you do - heres a hint, they generally aren't the best photographers.
    why should it matter whether they are photographers or not? let alone good or bad ones?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is the main reason I don't enter other competitions other than the one on this site.
    The image I enter on here is judged by my peers, not just one judge. And the result is the mixed emotions and observations of all members from begginers to advanced.
    That is what makes this site unique, and a good judge of how my photography is progressing.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    judgement (at least full judgement) should be with held until it is viewed as intended - is the image intended by viewed at 700px wide?

I'm judging it from what "I" can see of it and what I can see....I don't like.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see much point getting worked up over the image in question.

It's art and it's subjective. Therefore there is no right or wrong answer.

I personally don't like the portrait. The composition is bothersome, the light is flat, the background does nothing for the subject, and the pose and expression doesn't tell a story.

But if someone else here loves it, then that's fine too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    This thread is the main reason I don't enter other competitions other than the one on this site.
    The image I enter on here is judged by my peers, not just one judge. And the result is the mixed emotions and observations of all members from begginers to advanced.
    That is what makes this site unique, and a good judge of how my photography is progressing.
    It's probably lucky that we refrain from passing judgement on the winners here in the same way that we pass judgement on the National Portrait Prize. It could (and probably has) created some fights. There is a general consensus here as to what a good photo is, but it isn't necessarily right. We are slaves to fashion, just as others in our society (all societies) are, and it is good that different comps have different rules. While it is probably sensible to stick to one site to start with, it is easy to end up with limitations which have to be unlearned in the end. That's the normal process for most people, so no big deal. It is, however, worth remembering that there are many different views and the more we accept them the greater our options become.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast