Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 National Portrait Prize Winner

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2012 National Portrait Prize Winner

What's your opinion on the winning photo?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-1...-prize/3899438

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Image, i had a quick look at it's competition and there is some very nice work in the collection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty flat and average image IMHO - seems like the marketability of an image and the background story on something that can be socially opinionated has dominated the competition rather than the image being a particularly good portrait - The portrait really should not require an accompanying storm but convery something in what it shows.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute crap. The only thing I can think is that there must be something in print that didn't translate to screen.

The image (scroll down for the uncropped image) is as boring as they come. I have some knowledge of the struggles of Jackie Charles, and nothing in his face conveys any of that.

I can't see anything good at all in this image - especially compared to other images there which manage to tell a story while demonstrating just a touch of creativity and technical skill, which this image achieves none of.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just doesn't do a single thing for me. I don't feel the slightest spark of anything looking at it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The poor bloke looks like a stunned mullet. And excuse the reference, but I have seen better mug shots. As said above, there is no feeling, or story in this image.
    But judges are judges, and no-one knows what goes through their minds.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he is a very white black man in that image.........was this deliberate?
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, ummm... I do not like it, agree that it is flat and well boring.
    It doesn't really show any emotion it just looks like a mug shot
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid it does nothing for me either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was looking at the finalists a day before the announcement of the winner. Must say that when is was announced I was surprised that this was the winner. But I still wish I had taken a photo that good.

think this one was the best...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-1...ottjpg/3898566
    Last edited by danny; 20-03-2012 at 10:59pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with all of the above and 100% with Danny I think that was a winner!!!!
    Life is like a camera, focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out take another shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon the guy needs a good haircut and a beard trim, myself.

I agree with the above sentiments, and that portrait of the frog hunter is a great shot, far better than the winner IMHO.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular Jeanette's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO it does not strick me as much as other photos, especially comparing to many i have seen on here.
    sense political edge rather than THE PHOTO...
    i agree flat, slightly over exposed areas and flash shows on the forehead rather than subtle light.
    and very posed.. which works for many shots but for this guy who DOES have an interesting face and character, to get him not front on posed bt rather a capture might have stirred some story and emotion which it lacks big time to me

Constructive Critique and editing of my images is welcome and appreciated.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading all this criticism I am just left with the impression that we all think we could do better. Perhaps it is best to just appreciate the top entries and leave it at that. $25,000 is a good prize, but it fades when compared to what the winner of the Aus Open tennis tournament gets. We pay our sportsmen much, much more - and then we (experts?) criticize the decision for a photo. I suspect we are just shooting ourselves in the foot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think much of the winning entry either. Agreed with the flat lighting etc. I found the one titled "Transition: Nikki & Nick" by Emma Phillips appealed to me.
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Reading all this criticism I am just left with the impression that we all think we could do better.
    That's not the impression I get.

One doesn't have to be particularly good at something to know when another example of it isn't good, or isn't appealing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Reading all this criticism I am just left with the impression that we all think we could do better.
    We all could though...Heck, I'm woeful at portraiture and I know I cold produce a more interesting image than this with my eyes closed.

I've seen more interesting passport photos - and that's basically all this is. Sure, it's a bit far away and the wrong background, but that's basically all this is.

I'm reminded of the shot on the cover of Times for Mark Zuckerman, man of the year. It basically WAS a passport photo. I basically thought the same about that.

But because it's in a prominent location, it plays on people's minds and they start to find meaning and interpretation where there really isn't any.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also to be remembered that art is very subjective.

What one person considers to be rubbish, someone else could consider to be a masterpiece.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post

One doesn't have to be particularly good at something to know when another example of it isn't good, or isn't appealing.
    Amen to that, doesn't only apply to photography in particular or art in general. We see examples of mass appeal everyday ranging from the latest tech gadget to a kitchen utensil.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    It's also to be remembered that art is very subjective.

What one person considers to be rubbish, someone else could consider to be a masterpiece.
    Particularly when competitions are held that seem to reward artists who have captured someone with "celebrity status", maybe it is time to overhaul the judge selection criteria ------

Or would that go against the grain of sponsors and bum kissers?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would seem that I am a lone voice. I don't think it's a bad photo at all. It may even be an excellent photo, though it is hard to tell with a small jpeg. At least I find it hard to tell. Apart from that, I do think his face shows a lot of character and it is relaxed. Does he really have celebrity status? I've never heard of him, but he is of the stolen generation, so I guess that makes him a celebrity. Small reward!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast