User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: "Photo of the Day" site, should we give away our shots?

Formerly user: Arzuhl
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Photo of the Day" site, should we give away our shots?

Hey Guys.
    I was recently invited to put one of my photos on the above site. The site lets the Photographer keep all Copyright, etc over the photo and asks for a blurb on the shot. They will even allow a link to a website or whatever you have (I presume) to promote your own Photography business.
    My question is, should we be giving away our shots for free to websites or is the promotional opportunity enough recompense. I don't have a website or even a Facebook page as yet.
    Interested to get your thoughts.
    Cheers.
    Cameras: Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D gripped.
    Lenses: 24mmmm f1.4 L, 24-105mm f4 L, 50mm f1.2 L, 85mm f1.2 II L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II
    Flash: Canon 600 EX RT.
    Tripod: Manfrotto 190CX Pro3, Manfrotto Automatic Monopod, Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head.
    Bank Manager: Unhappy.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I wouldn't, but I'd like to see the site first (got a URL?) to see what it's about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that DWI is doing a simular thing. But calling it "photos from the weekend". I put one in.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't. They aren't a judge of your photo, just random likes from random people.
    If they added value eg a critique of how my shot can be improved etc...

dieselpower
    Got a link? I presume it's the 'photo of the day' site through Facebook? It could be a potentially massive marketing tool, yeah random likes from random people but think of the sales/marketing potential. If you keep copyright, can link to your own site and put on a blurb then it's potentially a very good marketing tool... I haven't seen the T's&C's but imagine if one of your photos was featured - potentially millions of hits and if even 1% of a million hits generated business out of it then I would think it was worth it...