Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Severe TC Lua

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Severe TC Lua

Up in Port Hedland I had the privilege of being apart of our operations preparing and enduring severe tropical cyclone Lua.
    After working a 12 hour day on the 16th the accommodation village was advised of the RED ALERT status at 2100hrs which meant as Security/ERT I was up and out the door informing residents with the other cyclone wardens. Most of which were oblivious to the fact and decidedly drunk (as they had been off work since midday) - JOY!

I then got to spend the night in the recreation room in the administration block on the (not quite so comfy couch) so we could get some rest before starting our shift during the day at 0530. Finally got to sleep at 2330 and woke to the howling wind and rain at 0330 and couldn't get back to sleep. Plus fire alarms were going off that I had to tend to.

We then spent the remainder of our day in the cyclone shelter/administration block fielding phone calls from hungry residents. The ALL CLEAR was finally given at 1700 and I finally finished work at 1800hours yesterday. And my pruney feet were glad to get out of my boots. The joys of cyclones!

Here's a couple I managed from our shelter. We were spared the worst of it as TC Lua just side swiped us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam,

Thanks for sharing this experience - it would be rather different from life in Bridgetown! (we visited it a couple of years ago)

#1 has a great sky; I know its basically a "record" shot, but with about half of the foreground cropped off, you would have an exciting image too. Mono might be great too?

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Brewster; 18-03-2012 at 11:54am.
    Sony DSCR1 bridge camera; Sony Alpha SLT A57; Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens; Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens; converted Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens; Filters: ND4,ND8,ND1000, CP; Photoshop CS6. 82.7% of statistics are made up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam,
    Glad to hear all safe & well, I've been watching Lua closely. Good thing it side swiped you, it would have been horrible it you got a direct hit, even so a scary event & plenty close enough
    Stay Safe
    Cargo

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel for you mate, they asked me to stay in Perth rather than flying up on Wednesday (Just Gone) morning on the 5.00am flight. So i've had to sleep in most days in my own bed, but the good news is, I have to fly to site this Monday on the 11.00am flight (poor me) till Thursday, when I return home (Bummer) LOL.

I know how you feel mate, the joys of responsibility. Good to hear it only brushed you, but, the BIG AUSTRALIAN probably got a good clean out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It arrived here last night a cat 2, missed the worst of it and hit Jigalong I hear! The dogs weren't happy with the wind at 1.30am, so I have been up since then watching it pass.. The first red alert I have been through where we got to keep our power on Glad you stayed safe.. The mine is back to full swing at 9am.. It will take a bit more than a severe tropical cyclone to stop them digging the dirt

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam that's no fun is it I am glad to read that you are ok and everyone else is also
    Been through a few of these myself when I lived in Nth Qld Cyclone Justin was my worst experience, so I too feel for you all..
    Thanks for sharing these.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Going Cold Blooded
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brewster View Post
    Hi Adam,

Thanks for sharing this experience - it would be rather different from life in Bridgetown! (we visited it a couple of years ago)

#1 has a great sky; I know its basically a "record" shot, but with about half of the foreground cropped off, you would have an exciting image too. Mono might be great too?

Ian
    Cheers Ian, yeah just a little different from Bridgetown. That first shot was taken when we hit yellow alert if I remember rightly.

Going Cold Blooded
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Feel for you mate, they asked me to stay in Perth rather than flying up on Wednesday (Just Gone) morning on the 5.00am flight. So i've had to sleep in most days in my own bed, but the good news is, I have to fly to site this Monday on the 11.00am flight (poor me) till Thursday, when I return home (Bummer) LOL.

I know how you feel mate, the joys of responsibility. Good to hear it only brushed you, but, the BIG AUSTRALIAN probably got a good clean out.
    Sounds like you've had it hard this swing mate . Pardoo copped it sweet though (as it normally does) just about everyone was evacuated though.

The joys of responsibility huh? There are times when I would rather be just another numpty!

Going Cold Blooded
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroharm View Post
    It arrived here last night a cat 2, missed the worst of it and hit Jigalong I hear! The dogs weren't happy with the wind at 1.30am, so I have been up since then watching it pass.. The first red alert I have been through where we got to keep our power on Glad you stayed safe.. The mine is back to full swing at 9am.. It will take a bit more than a severe tropical cyclone to stop them digging the dirt
    Yeah quite honestly, the winds weren't very high at all here. May have been gusts to only 80km/hr and a bit of rain.

Nothing stops production for long. I heard BHP flexed their muscles and got the all clear earlier here due to the clear weather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    Yeah quite honestly, the winds weren't very high at all here. May have been gusts to only 80km/hr and a bit of rain.

Nothing stops production for long. I heard BHP flexed their muscles and got the all clear earlier here due to the clear weather.
    Probably, they had everyone back into it as soon as the all clear was given.. And they say the big mining companies aren't controlling the Nth West