User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Learning Photoshop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning Photoshop?

I want to get a little more serious with Photoshop and before I start getting more involved I would like to know what is the best way to learn? I have had a play around with it for the last couple of years but I would prefer to learn the correct methods and not just stumble around. I am interested in opinions on the best way to learn this program without stumbling through it. Should I look for a course at Tafe or Similar? Is there an online option. I just want to master it in the end. I was thinking of looking for a course located in the South East of Melbourne. All suggestions appreciated.
    Cheers Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Steve...There are LOTS of great tutorials on youtube for Photoshop.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would suggest getting the Scott Kelby book for your version. He has produced books on every version on Photoshop for quite a few years and if you follow along with his book, you will learn a lot.

Also agree with MF above, that youtube has some great tutorials, but you need to know what to search for to begin with, as it is better to search for 'photoshop levels tutorial", or "photoshop unsharp mask tutorial" than just photoshop tutorials.

You can also ask here on AP. We have some tutorials in our Tutorials forum already, and members are often willing to help out with instruction and advice if you ask.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I would suggest getting the Scott Kelby book for your version. He has produced books on every version on Photoshop for quite a few years and if you follow along with his book, you will learn a lot.

Also agree with MF above, that youtube has some great tutorials, but you need to know what to search for to begin with, as it is better to search for 'photoshop levels tutorial", or "photoshop unsharp mask tutorial" than just photoshop tutorials.

You can also ask here on AP. We have some tutorials in our Tutorials forum already, and members are often willing to help out with instruction and advice if you ask.
    Agree'd, when searching for a tut on the tube you actually have to know what your looking to do. Me, i have no idea at the best of times BUT it has been a great help. Ive also wasted so many mins/hrs on useless vids by people that know less than me

You CAN NOT beat the info on here though..Have a go, post it up and get some feedback here.

Books also as rick mentioned. There are heaps of publications on Photoshop available pretty much everywhere.

wayne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just "discovered" Scott Kelby and his trainings I would certainly recommend all his stuff, I haven't looked at photoshop, but the lightroom and photographic stuff has been fantastic and very well priced.
    I use Canon gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Ricktas & Presotto, Scott Kelby has a range of books available for Photoshop. Well worth a read.

An honest C+C please!

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Nikon D300
    Photoshop CS4 Extended

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your input, it is really appreciated. Scott Kelby book is on my to do list.
    Cheers Steve

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thankyou so much for posting this..although i mainly use lightroom i really want to start to become skilled with photoshop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely the best place to go for info on photoshop or any of the CS5 programs is youtube!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And dont forget your local Library.. I get lots of PS books from there and because I have CS3 there is no waiting now..
    And when the waiting list is too long I buy from Fishpond up top on the Sponsors button a lot cheaper and no postage either.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevyrob View Post
    I want to get a little more serious with Photoshop and before I start getting more involved I would like to know what is the best way to learn?
    Hi Steve,

I've found that the best way to learn just about anything is to have three things:

1. A practical example to work on

2. A mentor to guide you

3. A reference source for additional information

If you go straight for the reference source - i.e a book on Photoshop - it's likely that you will forget some of the information almost as fast as you turn the pages. I'm currently learning how to use Photoshop Elements, and I bought a book that seems to cover it reasonably well. But if I just read through it seems to make sense at the time, but my eyes can still glaze over as I read, and it doesn't always really stick, because I have little or no practical experience to tie the words to. Temporary knowledge you might say.

So I sent a photo of mine to a friend who worked on it and sent it back with 20 or so layers of work done on it, using a variety of tools. I looked at it for a while and learned as much as I could from just looking (which was useful but still only quite a modest amount) and then rang him up. We had a phone conversation lasting about 10 minutes (with us both sitting at our computers) during which he just walked me through what he'd done. telling me what to click on to bring up the relevant screen/layer/tool/mask or whatever. After thanking him profusely we hung up and I then took the original photo and worked through it all for myself. Bingo! The knowledge is there now. That process might have taken weeks if it had been just me reading the book.

I now have a basic platform to build on and should be able to learn much more by following the in program guide/help system and the book. But when I get stuck, or don't really grasp a concept I'll just ask somebody - either my generous friend or somebody at a camera club or forum. Books are good, but although good written information is constant, ignorance and misunderstandings come in an endless variety of flavours and angles, so you can't beat asking an experienced human directly!

Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Chris