Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens advice for Africa trip.

Hey guys.

I'm heading to Africa for a couple of months and after my last holiday, I decide I needed to get a decent camera instead of just a P&S. I've invested in a Canon 1100D with a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II lens (came with the camera). In Africa I am planning to take photos of mainly landscapes (eg, Sossusvlei Dunes and Victoria Falls) and also of animals while on game drives. My trip is long enough and varied enough that I can focus on one thing to photo per day, so getting a lens that covers all bases at once isnt a priority.

For a wide angle lens I am deciding between the Tokina 11-16mm or the Sigma 10-20mm. Have heard great reviews on both so unsure as to which one to go for.

As for a telephoto zoom, thats where I need help. There are a few I'm tossing up between, but I dont actually know how long the lens needs to be. I am looking at either the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 USM or the Tamron equivalent. The other option, depending on whether or not I'll need it is the Sigma 150-500mm f4-5.6. I'm currently leaning towards the Tamron 70-300, but having no experience with DSLR's, I really am just going on reviews and recommendations.

And yes I know it seems like I'm jumping into the deep end here, but I dont tend to do things by half measures. Once I commit to something, I fully commit, so any help will be appreciated.

EDIT: I've also seen reviews on the Tokina 12-24mm, and it seems like a good lens in roughly the same price range as the wide angle lenses I've listed above. So many choices!!!
    Last edited by monty1104; 13-03-2012 at 2:05pm.