User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Moving from 5D MKII to 1Ds MKII, worth the move?

Formerly user: Arzuhl
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving from 5D MKII to 1Ds MKII, worth the move?

Hey guys considering a move from the 5D MKII to the 1Ds MKIII but not sure if its worth it. I'd mainly be using it for Landscape with hopefully a bit of Portraiture thrown in. The 1Ds is around 4 years old with low shutter count, so I'd have to sell my beloved 5D and lay out some cash for the upgrade.
    What do you guys think?
    Cheers.
    Cameras: Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D gripped.
    Lenses: 24mmmm f1.4 L, 24-105mm f4 L, 50mm f1.2 L, 85mm f1.2 II L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II
    Flash: Canon 600 EX RT.
    Tripod: Manfrotto 190CX Pro3, Manfrotto Automatic Monopod, Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head.
    Bank Manager: Unhappy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in a nutshell reply from me - if you are a working pro - yes there are much needed features and well worth the swap. For amateurs alike, not really, 5D2 still does a good job with most things.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie's got it in a nutshell.

If you're a hobbyist, I cannot see much point in going to all of that trouble and expense to upgrade to a camera which has a featureset you don't really need, and which won't make you a better photographer.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Hey guys considering a move from the 5D MKII to the 1Ds MKIII but not sure if its worth it. I'd mainly be using it for Landscape with hopefully a bit of Portraiture thrown in. The 1Ds is around 4 years old with low shutter count, so I'd have to sell my beloved 5D and lay out some cash for the upgrade.
    What do you guys think?
    Cheers.
    Your title says 1ds2 and then you refer to the 1ds3. Which camera are you moving to?

JJ

Formerly user: Arzuhl
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry 1Ds MKIII duh my bad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought a 1Ds3 because Ted's were selling 'remarketed' ones with full Canon warranties at $4,000. Since then, I have hardly touched my 5D2. The 1Ds, while not being much better in the way of IQ, is much better at handling and focus. These are serious advantages for me. The other thing I have noticed is that the 1Ds seems better at driving slow AF lenses such as the 85L and 50L. All in all, I think it has been a terrific move for me, but it depends what you might have to pay.
    Last edited by keithinmelbourne; 17-03-2012 at 10:43pm.