Thread: 70 - 200 L series which one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 - 200 L series which one?

g'day,

looking at purchasing in the near future the L series 70-200mm
    at the moment i'm trying to decide between the f2.8 L & the f4 L.

biggest differences being price and aperture, has anyone out there used either or one that they'd recommend?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are currently a few 70-200L models, I think you need to be a little specific. i.e. are you comparing both f/4 f/2.8 version with IS, or the version without?

I own the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II version, and have used the f/4 IS version fair bit.

The biggest difference to me is really not the price nor the aperture. It is the actual size and the weight.

With the f4 IS version, I am more mobile. I move a little faster and much, less weight on my hand.

With the f2.8 II version I got, it's quite a lot heavier, a little longer. I cannot do "pop-shot" as quick as the f4.

I like to have someone correct me if I am wrong this, but I feel the f4 IS version seems focus a little quicker.

Both have 4 stops IS. Both can delivery almost prime like sharpness if used correctly, with the f2.8 II version has a slight edge on both sharpness and color rendering ONLY if you are pixel peeping.

The reason I selected f/2.8 II version only because I like the look of envy from my peers I am quite happy to get the f4 IS version and use it and I wouldn't complaint about it.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on what you want the lens for, if you want low light performance you will need the F2.8. I just got the F2.8 and 2Xiii extender which is another reason for the 2.8 choice.
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add another perspective, I have the 70-200 f/4 without IS. I mainly shoot sports with the lens, so the IS was of no benefit to me, and would have added to the weight. I used the lens hand held the other week for 3-4 hours straight, and didn't have any complaints. I have used the f/2.8 IS and wouldn't have had a hope of using it in that way, for that long.

As mentioned above, really depends on what you plan to use the lens for.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't get the 2.8 unless you absolutely positively [I]know[I] that f4 is not going to work for you.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the f/4 with IS its nice and light I often use the EF 1.4x11 Extender with it making the focal length 280mm to shoot birds.
    Trying them both out in Stores beforehand I found the f/2.8 to heavy for me..
    With the f/4 I can hand hold this lens and extender with no problems. Its lighter than some of my Macro gear

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son Joel and I have looked at getting the 70-200 f4 non IS with extender, We dont take many low light shots that would warrant IS or 2.8 , Mainly for use at high shutter speeds in good light , If not I'll up the ISO to get the speed in dull light , And it's a lot cheaper
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome cheers for all the feed back...
    i will mainly be shooting sports with it (cycling in particular) and anything else i can think of...so sometimes i could be indoors at the velodrome or outdoors in the sunny or very overcast cloudy days...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kieran03 View Post
    awesome cheers for all the feed back...
    i will mainly be shooting sports with it (cycling in particular) and anything else i can think of...so sometimes i could be indoors at the velodrome or outdoors in the sunny or very overcast cloudy days...
    Over time I have had all of the 70-200s. The best & also the most expensive is the vII 2.8. Weight & price are probably the 2 most significant factors in not purchasing this lens. It is sharp with both 1.4 (Canon vII) & 2x (Kenko Pro 300 DG). My take on IS & 2.8 with this lens is that it is better to have it & not need it (turn it off) than need it & not have it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    My take on IS & 2.8 with this lens is that it is better to have it & not need it (turn it off) than need it & not have it.
    I've used this philosophy a fair bit in life in general, and this swayed me into buying a non-IS f/2.8L. I do wish I had done a little more research and spent a bit more for the IS version, but it has served me well so far regardless. It is a heavy lens though, no doubt!

Last year I managed to capture this shot at the World Time Attack Challenge at Eastern Creek - it's been cleaned up a fair bit for noise because it was after dark with minimal lighting on-site:

IMG_4162-Edit by GoldZilla, on Flickr
    Last edited by GoldZilla; 17-03-2012 at 6:34pm.
    Nick T.

Canon EOS 60D; Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM; Canon "Nifty Fifty" 50mm F/1.8 II; Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro; 2x Sigma EF-530DG Super flashes; Manfrotto 190XProB + 804CR2

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kieran03 View Post
    looking at purchasing in the near future the L series 70-200mm
    at the moment i'm trying to decide between the f2.8 L & the f4 L. biggest differences being price and aperture, has anyone out there used either or one that they'd recommend?
    The EF70 to 200F/2.8L IS MkII USM would be the best choice.

Because: it is F/2.8 and the maximum aperture of a lens will eventually define whether a speed shot in low light is either possible or impossible; also IS because there will be the facility to using Panning IS; also because of the two F/2.8 IS models, the MkII is superior in almost every respect.

That said for the sole purpose of cycling (or any other action sport) and if you can do without Panning IS, the EF70 to 200F/2.8L USM is the better choice of the other two F/2.8L lenses, because: it is sharper wide open and, thus also shaper with either MkII EF tele-extender attached, (albeit that the EF 70 to 200F/2.8L IS USM might not now be available from any stockist, as a new purchase).

WW

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm - In my experience I find that you start out with a purpose for a lens and then at some time find you start using it for other photos. I bought a 10-20mm for landscape but know find I use it quite a bit for portrait. I purchased a 70-200 F4 non-IS about 3 yrs ago and it suited me perfectly for about 12 months and then as my photography styles broadens I have found the f4 quite restrictive at times. Shooting horse comps in an area can be a challenge lighting wise when there is a lot of movement and I hate ISO over 400 on the 50D when there are light and dark areas in the frame. When I tried the 2.8 I was surprised how much more light it let in and have pined for one ever since.
    The non IS is a superb lens and not that much more expensive. Need to keep in mind the need for a good shutter speed as you don't have the IS to assist with camera shake but I dont find non-IS an issue myself. My replacement will be the version II 70-200 2.8 but not until a little more pocket money is made from photo sales from events this yr :-( .

I would suggest consider carefully between the 2.8 & f4 regardless of which model.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with William W, I own the 70-200 F2.8 L NON IS and shoot mainly rugby union with it, I need to use it on a monopole as it is heavy, but managable. (Using a Black Rapid Sports strap) you can use it hand held but after a while it will get to you. The F4 is a nice lens, but if shooting in the drome under lower aftificial light, I feel the F2.8 will clearly win. The extra stop is a bonus when using a TC, I use a Kenko 1.4 x on my lens to get EFOV of 280mm and it drops to F4 but still very user friendly under lower ambient light and wide open shooting. If you need to use speeds slower than the shutter lenght, then the IS would be a big consideraton, and the F2.8 would be the clear winner here.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're shooting cycling, have you considered the 300mm f4L? Awesome sports lens and plenty of reach.

But yeah... if you want versatility the 70-200 f2.8 IS II or a much cheaper Non IS.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried the 70-200 F2.8L is ii out on Saturday night at Renmark Go Karts and was very pleased with the results, see here.
    Keith.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own the 70-200 f2.8 IS VII after upgrading from the VI earlier this year. I mostly use it for portrait work outside in good light. I still stop it down to 2.8 to control DOF. It is noticeable sharper than the first version to the point you could use it instead of primes in this range (if you never needed more than 2.8). I do find it slower focus than the first version, and it does have trouble in lower light situations (I mean very low light) - but then again my primes had no trouble locking focus.

If you are just using it for sport in good light then f4 is all you will need - in fact you would probably stop it down anyway to give you a wider DOF on a moving object. Weight is a serious consideration too - it is not a lens I carry around at any time - I am very stationary when I use this lens.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently own the 100mm L f2.8 and use it for portraiture as well as macro hand held and find the IS very useful I am planning to buy the 70 - 200mm F2.8 IS L ii for portraiture in low light as well I am sure the IS will be better than the 100mm IS just going by the fact that it is a newer lens I tried this lens at Teds the other day veen at 1/10 shutter I can get resonably sharp shots wide open and the quality it delivers is great as well.....
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just to throw my two cents in, I would pick the 70-200 2.8 over the 70-200 f4, if you go go for the f4 version you might consider the 70-300L for the extra range.
    Excellent IS, very fast focus speed, only one stop difference its f5 up to around 230. Its a very compact portable package.
    Canon Powershot S70, Sony A 100+twin lens kit and GN36 flash, Canon 7D 15-85, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Canon 70-300L, 1.4* Kenko PRO 300 DGX, Canon 430EX II

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't tried the F4 version but the F2.8 II with IS version is fantastic in terms of image quality and I also use it with 2X extender for very long landscape shots.
    If you're going to use it with an 2xextender , remember that your largest aperture is going to be F8 which might limit you significant in anything but bright daylight on a camera with average iso performance.

In terms of the weight - yes it's heavy but Marianne and I both manage to use it for whole day wedding shoots with some fatigue by the time reception comes around. It suspect it also depends on how you hold it - we hold with shutter button down in our right hand to relieve some of the weight from the left arm - I suspect you might run into some more fatigue issues if you're holding it shutter button up with all weight in your left hand? <speculation only!>
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unsure what lens to which we are referring, or if it is a typo.
    But, for clarity:

With a x2 extender an F/2.8 lens will have a Max Aperture of F/5.6
    With a x2 extender an F/4 lens will have a Max Aperture of F/8.

WW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast