Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Topbuy - who? Where?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Topbuy - who? Where?

(Posted here because I'm not buying anything specific/yet anyway, but doing some checking.)

Well, what about Topbuy?

They are not listed in the site sponsors, that I can see.

knumknutz asked here.

Rick said there was a thread somewhere. I did a couple of "advanced searches" (maybe not very well) with no results.

So, where is/are a/some thread/s, or, who knows what about them?

Ta, Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 11-03-2012 at 6:09pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've used them. Had no problems either time. What would you like to know?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, that, but anything about their service, anything not so good. Just asking generally.
    Am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'll go over stuff that may help you to decide whether you can use them with confidence. I'm not associated with them in any way.

The first thing I noticed about the site was that there was not a lot there that would let you contact them. They use a forum type arrangement to let you know the status of your order. If you do a whirlpool search, you'll find heaps of complaints about their service, BUT don't be discouraged by that. The complaints go back a number of years. That meant that they'd been around trading under the same name for at least five or six years that I could work out. Most complaints were about non-camera gear. These guys source and sell all kinds of crap.

So, my first purchase was a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 and a 1.4TC. I did not get a confirmation of the order until it shipped. That caused me a little anxiety. Anyway I got the tracking number and the goods arrived quickly and as advertised. They were hundreds of dollars cheaper than any other grey importer that I had compared.

The second purchase was a GeForce GTX560 video card. The one I ordered was not in stock. They offered me the next model up for the same price and I accepted. It arrived as advertised and quickly (apart from the Australia Post Contractor having it in the back of their van for a week).

The only annoying part of the whole thing is that I get one and sometimes two newsletters by email EVERY DAY from them.

I paid via PayPal so that I had some form of insurance against non-delivery, but in reality I had no problems. I would, and have, recommended them to others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my Canon 60D from topbuys, no problems smooth transaction and I saved $$$$$$.

I liked this about your photo.......To improve on it you could........Well done and keep posting

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roshoto/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought lots of camera and other stuff from them and never had a problem, except when I bought a flash from them, and they sent me a Nikon instead of a Canon mount.
    I complained and the next day, their courier arrived and picked up the flash and delivered me the correct one in few days.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot guys (non-gender version).

I will now not ignore them out-of-hand.

This has been useful info.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've decided on what to buy, sort the order the goods are shown in "By Description".
    This is just above the items displayed.

The reason I say this, is that they sometimes have multiple sources for certain cameras etc., and one source can be cheaper than the other, or one may have a cheaper shipping price.
    If you don't change the display, you might find you are buying the more expensive item or paying more for shipping than you need to.
    For example, the Canon 5D MkII.
    They have one source which costs A$1918.95 from Japan with a $40 shipping charge, and the other is $1857.95 also with a $40 shipping charge.

They actually have an office and BIG warehouse in St Peters in Sydney, but they do try and act as if they are an overseas company so finding where they are is difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another who has used them no problem. Bought a tripod and my macro lens from them.
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta folks. Since last post they have got back to me (OK, by text message) like they said. They seemed reasonable and I will keep them in mind.
    Am.