Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightroom 4

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightroom 4

I cannot find it mentioned here but Lightroom 4, not the beta, has been released.
    But, here is the rub. If you live in the USA it will cost you $79 to upgrade, but we lucky Australians can get the upgrade for only $122.
    And that is for the download too I understand.

They do try and take us for a ride don't they.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Graham, you are quite right LR4 is out in the wild. Very annoyed that they are trying to rip of Australians (and Kiwis) with their pricing though. $149USD is great, but go to the Australian adobe site (because apparently you can't order from the US site) and it says $219 (inc GST). But then if you click buy, you get another Adobe stuff up as you get two options, buy the boxed version for $241 or the download for $205.

In any case they're ripping us off and attempts to contact them is not getting any response. BOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the upgrade version for download this morning for A$98.75.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

This is the response to numerous complaints on the Adobe ANZ facebook page:

Hi, thanks for your comment. To reiterate what we've said below. Adobe delivers mission-critical software to creative professionals. Our pricing methodology takes into consideration the costs of doing business in different regions and customer research that assesses the value of the product in the local market. Conditions vary between markets and it’s difficult to make a straight comparison between countries.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
    I bought the upgrade version for download this morning for A$98.75.
    We would all like to know where

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    This is the response to numerous complaints on the Adobe ANZ facebook page:

Assessing the value of the product in the local market can be translated into charging what we think we can get for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    We would all like to know where
    From the Adobe site - once I selected the version I was upgrading from it changed the price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the upgrade costs just under $100 for the download. its actually worth it too!
    Last edited by zollo; 09-03-2012 at 2:35am.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upgrade for the DL from LR3 is only $100.
    Am actually really pleased with the outcomes, really like the changes that have been made and am quite impressed by the NR. Naturally you have to update the individual pictures in your catologue to LR4 form and it does change your processing workflow and the output method a bit but definitely like what it allows. Have tried out the new Photobook section and the website section and been very happy in the backwards compability as well as the improvements. Plenty of things to play with and a whole bunch of preset actions and methods to work on. Now I just have to justify Nik Softwares B+W converter .
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of your guys experienced any degradation in performance?

there's are hundreds of posts about very poor performance of LR4 compared to LR3... even when running hardcore machines =S
    I was about to purchase it last night, but stumbled upon the official Lightroom forum..

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971581?tstart=0

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there is a problem for some people with lightroom 4. Towards the end of this http://feedback.photoshop.com/photos...extremely_slow there is an acknowledgement from one of the Adobe people that they have been able to replicate a problem and are working on it.See the post by Becky Sowada.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not suffered from the problem so I guess I am one of the lucky ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZz View Post
    Have any of your guys experienced any degradation in performance?

there's are hundreds of posts about very poor performance of LR4 compared to LR3... even when running hardcore machines =S
    I was about to purchase it last night, but stumbled upon the official Lightroom forum..

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971581?tstart=0
    i also read through that and didn't know what they were on about. i've experienced no slowdown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Yes there is a problem for some people with lightroom 4. Towards the end of this http://feedback.photoshop.com/photos...extremely_slow there is an acknowledgement from one of the Adobe people that they have been able to replicate a problem and are working on it.See the post by Becky Sowada.
    Ah! Thanks heaps for that =)
    And that's great to hear that some of the peeps here are not experiencing any performance issues. I guess it would be a little hard to ask everyone about their setup, i.e. Fresh install? Upgraded from LR3 to LR4, etc. But either way, i'm gonna buy it. Adobe are not a small company so will rectify any issues sooner or later

Getting back onto the topic. I did have a quick chat with Adobe, using the chat window and i asked why there is a price difference. The representative replied saying it was due to taxes being imposed by Australia law, etc etc.

Hrmm.. whether thats true or not, u can decide for urself.
    I also asked whether it made any difference if i were to buy and download LR4 from the USA store, opposed to the AUD store. The rep replied.. nope, no difference at all.
    But there is one catch, u have to use an American credit card... i'm aware of virtual credit card, but have not successfully read up upon a reliable/easy/guaranteed way to do this.. so if anyone has any suggestion, i'm all ears for future USA purchases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed it is a lot slower, painfully slow,sometimes... despite upping my RAM from a readable 3Gb to a fresh win64bit with 8Gb RAM.... Often moving a slider requires a second or more wait for the image to adjust and thus makes lots of micro adjustments annoying.

Horrible issues with metadata tags constantly saying they have been edited externally, and some terrible auto tone attempts, totally over or under exposing.

Apart from those issues, which I am hoping will be fixed in a .1 release, the upgrade is good... I prefer the new 2012 camera profile and slider layout, and like the map feature.
    Epicaricacy
    Canon 5Dmkiii and a variety of lenses and other bits and pieces

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any performance reduction at all. I just did the normal upgrade process and if anything I think it runs faster. I do have a pretty high spec machine though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just informed that Adobe have quietly dropped the Australian price of Lightroom 4 today, bringing it closer to the US price. It's now AU$99 for an upgrade or AU$187 for the full version as downloads from Adobe Australia.
    I use Canon gear.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Sigh"

Spend your dollars.

For Nikon aficionados the original ( and presumably current version ) of Capture NX2 cost around the $200.00 mark 3 years ago and all updates from then till now have been FREE.

Not only does it still offer excellent NEF to TIFF / JPEG conversions and editing functionality but the standard DAM section that is bundled with the camera offers very usable DAM capabilities for FREE.

I won't even go into the facts that CNX2 is much faster to edit / save on a modestly specced PC than adobe darkroom.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upgraded to LR4 today

Gotta pick one main software product and stuck by it or with it I reckon
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presotto View Post
    I was just informed that Adobe have quietly dropped the Australian price of Lightroom 4 today, bringing it closer to the US price. It's now AU$99 for an upgrade or AU$187 for the full version as downloads from Adobe Australia.
    Above you Michaela wrote that it was $98.97 on March 7. So it was not reduced today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast