Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Cricket club photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cricket club photos

Hi all,
    I've been approached to take a local cricket teams end of season photos.
    They are under 13's who's coach is my boss.
    Anyone had any experience in taking these?

They basically want a team shot and individual shots of each player.
    How? When? Settings?
    And how much?
    Pretty cool e asked me but 13 year old boys???
    Gonna need ALOT of help here

Hit me with your ideas
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your going to have to treat it like doing a Wedding is my guess, All the same things because your only going to one go at this , So double everything , Camera's , Batteries , Flashes , Spare cards the whole lot , As far as settings , Depends on where , The time of day , Indoors/Outdoors etc , Try for $60 an hour, Dont forget the time travelled to the venue, And processing can take hours , Just a couple of things to take into consideration for now
    Last edited by William; 05-03-2012 at 5:51pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danielle you seem to have the skills to handle the photographic side of this - I think it's just a matter of breaking down the other stuff bit-by-bit.

Firstly I think you need to be clear on what you are expected to provide (prints, etc ?) and how the payment is going to work. Companies that shoot club team photos generally offer various print package options and the players pay directly (in advance) for the package they want. (For example we recently paid $25 for a package of four 6" x 8" shots in a clear plastic folder thing). Is this how it will work in your case, or (for example) will you get paid for the shoot and provide files on CD? - what are the parents expecting? I think providing prints is usually a more attractive option for the players/parents and can be a good way to increase your earnings. You also need to consider if you are expected to include some sort of template with the club logo, names, etc as this will add to you PP time. (I personally wouldn't be too concerned with making a heap of money on this, as I'd be gaining experience and have a new genre to add to the CV, and would also be helping out the boss which I don't think is ever a bad thing ).

For the shoot I assume that the coach/boss will be there to do the 'teenboy-wrangling' so you shouldn't have any problems on that front. How you shoot it will depend somewhat on how formal or otherwise they want it - e.g do they want the tiered-seating sitting-up-straight formal version or a more relaxed group shot? (For a club side I prefer the latter). Shots might include full group; individual head-and-shoulders; individual half (or full) body shot perhaps holding the bat (or ball for bowlers, and get the keeper in his kit). After you've got the group shot, get a 'muck-up' shot, either with stupid faces, etc, or maybe have someone tackle the coach and have the kids pile on (coaches love this). If you are providing prints you might consider providing a sheet made up with multiple smaller images that can be cut up and given to relatives (but don't forget to factor extra PP time). Maybe visit the team's training ground and see what might work as backgrounds. I think once you have a bit of a plan as to what shots you'll be taking we can provide more specific info on settings, etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention - if you are providing prints you might need to determine the print size before the shoot as it can affect how you frame the shot (e.g. a wide group shot might not translate well to an 8" x 10").

Cheers.
    Last edited by fillum; 05-03-2012 at 8:05pm.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm not expecting to make money from it- but was going to add my card and if they want a family thing I could maybe do it.
    Agree with adding experience to the "cv"
    Kinda looking forward to it- bit of fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering how you went with the 'team' shots?
    Good bad or indifferent experience lol, I ask because I have played the sport for well over 25 years and just finished some fun shots and a grand final with my old team!
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, thanks for asking. It went well. They were 12-13 year old boys so not the most co operative. I took the team photo and crappy individual portraits. Crappy coz I wanted to keep it short. Just took a simple snap and called "next!" lol
    I don't think I can post it here, ya know being kids etc, if the parents saw they might get poo-ey

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle10 View Post
    Hi, thanks for asking. It went well. They were 12-13 year old boys so not the most co operative. I took the team photo and crappy individual portraits. Crappy coz I wanted to keep it short. Just took a simple snap and called "next!" lol
    I don't think I can post it here, ya know being kids etc, if the parents saw they might get poo-ey
    The parents cannot see, cause only members of AP can view the critique forums! Also depends on what you wrote in your contract as to who owns copyright, cause domestic portraiture (in Aus) is copyrighted to the client (person who commissioned and/or paid for the photography).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt this comes under the definition of domestic portraiture ?

Re money, theres good money to be made in t&i, much better than shooting action.

normally you'd change about $10 per head for a laminated 8x10 with all the team sponsors logos, names etc in a border etc.....individual shots another $10 for a plain 8x10.....add other packages if you like.

There's no special privacy rules re children's photos in general, so, no legal issue putting them up on your website etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The parents cannot see, cause only members of AP can view the critique forums! Also depends on what you wrote in your contract as to who owns copyright, cause domestic portraiture (in Aus) is copyrighted to the client (person who commissioned and/or paid for the photography).
    Hmmm, there was no contract. My boss is their coach so just asked me to do it. Might put it up for u all to see after I've finished with the names etc.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I doubt this comes under the definition of domestic portraiture ?

Re money, theres good money to be made in t&i, much better than shooting action.

normally you'd change about $10 per head for a laminated 8x10 with all the team sponsors logos, names etc in a border etc.....individual shots another $10 for a plain 8x10.....add other packages if you like.

There's no special privacy rules re children's photos in general, so, no legal issue putting them up on your website etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I charged $20 per kid, for a team photo and a portrait. Obviously I need to print etc, so I think I'll make about $100. I'm happy with that. It's more my time I'm happy to be paid for- my skills are well... I'm still learning lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do show

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im having trouble uploading the image, didnt want to put it on flickr then transfer it to here.
    Anyway i have had them printed and they look UNREAL!!! very happy with myself
    Only thing is, i want to display it some how or give it to them in something that looks decent.
    Cant seem to find anything locally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I used to have a link to a place in south aus, will check when I get home!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.imagedisplaycreations.com.au/

Just found this on a quick look!