Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1Ds mark III or 1Dx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1Ds mark III or 1Dx

Currently going to purchase a long waited 1Ds Mark III, but was told by Michaels that Canon has stopped making it and it can't be purchased from any authorised store australia wide. They recommanded to wait for 1Dx. But no one knows exactly when 1Dx will be available, also is 1Dx better than 1Ds mark III? I was told they are about the same price.
    Anybody give me some advise should I wait for the 1Dx or get the 1Ds mark III somewhere else.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your genre of photography? Generally newer is better, after all the 1Ds3 is an almost 5 year old camera, but 1Dx is moving in a slightly different path by combining the 1 series and edging more towards the 1d not the 1Ds.

I was looking forward to buy a 1Dx as well, but with the release of the 5D3.. i might skip the 1Dx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO it is silly for anyone to buy a 1DsMKIII new or 2nd hand now, as mentioned it is 5 years old now and about 2 generations off the current FF sensor performance. Not that great with high noise control as well from my experiences, the 5D2 was just a tad better than it was at 3200iso and above.

With its new or 2nd hand price, it does not make any sense when the 1DX and 5D3 is around the corner.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    What is your genre of photography? Generally newer is better, after all the 1Ds3 is an almost 5 year old camera, but 1Dx is moving in a slightly different path by combining the 1 series and edging more towards the 1d not the 1Ds.

I was looking forward to buy a 1Dx as well, but with the release of the 5D3.. i might skip the 1Dx.
    Thanks, Keefy. agree with you, but about 2 month waiting bothers me. also no matter how good the 5D3 quoted, there is a difference between 5 and 1 series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sentiments exactly.

As yo are buying a 1 series for its great picture quality superior focuss system etc., why would't you want the very best and the very latest.

The reports I've read about the new 1Dx say it is a superior camera to the 1D MkIII in every single way.

They'll be out soon.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    IMO it is silly for anyone to buy a 1DsMKIII new or 2nd hand now, as mentioned it is 5 years old now and about 2 generations off the current FF sensor performance. Not that great with high noise control as well from my experiences, the 5D2 was just a tad better than it was at 3200iso and above.

With its new or 2nd hand price, it does not make any sense when the 1DX and 5D3 is around the corner.
    Thanks Tran, Looks like wait is a wise choice.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    My sentiments exactly.

As yo are buying a 1 series for its great picture quality superior focuss system etc., why would't you want the very best and the very latest.

The reports I've read about the new 1Dx say it is a superior camera to the 1D MkIII in every single way.

They'll be out soon.
    Thanks Ben. If what you said is true, I wouldn't be hesitate at all. Does pixel matter? 1DX is going backwards on pixels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it would be haaardd to go past the 1dx. pixels do matter but are not nearly everything. I would be willing to bet that image quality is much improved over the 1d3 (along with most things) and if you have better quality to start with, upresing a photo to double the size (or more) with modern software will yield fantastic results.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand your point about the 1 series vs 5 series. But based on reports, it seems the 5d3 is close to the build quality of a 1 series. Again, what's your genre of shooting?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    I understand your point about the 1 series vs 5 series. But based on reports, it seems the 5d3 is close to the build quality of a 1 series. Again, what's your genre of shooting?
    yes,Keefy. Looks like there is more improvement on 5d3 than 1dx. I shoot anything but prefer travelling and shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leaf View Post
    Currently going to purchase a long waited 1Ds Mark III, but was told by Michaels that Canon has stopped making it and it can't be purchased from any authorised store australia wide. They recommanded to wait for 1Dx. But no one knows exactly when 1Dx will be available, also is 1Dx better than 1Ds mark III? I was told they are about the same price.
    Anybody give me some advise should I wait for the 1Dx or get the 1Ds mark III somewhere else.
    I think the 1DX will be a lot better than a 1Ds3, despite having just bought one, but the starting price is outrageously high. I'm not sure how good the 5D3 will be, but I can't believe that Canon would have brought these two bodies out together with such a price differential without there being considerable differences in handling and IQ.
    Last edited by keithinmelbourne; 17-03-2012 at 10:20pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my opinion but after having a quick play with the 1dx today I'm pretty sure it will be my next camera.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Losos View Post
    Just my opinion but after having a quick play with the 1dx today I'm pretty sure it will be my next camera.
    Thanks Losos, that's what I love to hear. Already preordered one and it will be available at the last week of April.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am definitely looking at the 1D X can't wait to get my hands on that baby!!!
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban Altonian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my 1dx yesterday..woohoo! Amazing low light performance.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altonian View Post
    Got my 1dx yesterday..woohoo! Amazing low light performance.
    Samples?

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban Altonian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know where to put the original file so I just uploaded it onto photobucket so you've some idea of the iso performance:
    Im stuck at home so I sneaked into the babies room while he was sleeping. I could barely see anything through the viewfinder and had to manual focus as there's no illuminator on camera and it wouldnt do it, I'm amazed how bright the image came out.

Canon 1dx, 24-70 f2.8 mk1 , 1/50th sec, f2.8, ISO 25600!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Altonian, it looks like you now know whay we all said to wait for the 1DX!

If anything, the high ISO perfrmance alone was worth the wait.

I'm finding that out with my 5D3 too.
    Even if all you see is black through the viewfinder, the shots still come out great.

Hope you enjoy it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit noisier than I'd like myself, but at 25600 you can't complain too much. If it's a choice between getting a picture or none at all, then it is still usable. I've got to get a new body myself soon. One of mine finally died on the weekend and it's not really economical to repair any more. I'd really like a 1Dx, but they are still very expensive bits of kit. The original 1dsMkIII had an asking price of nearly $13K when they first came out and were going at under $8K before they sold out. Might wait a while and see what these come down to after all the early-adopters have been fleeced.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leaf View Post
    Currently going to purchase a long waited 1Ds Mark III, but was told by Michaels that Canon has stopped making it and it can't be purchased from any authorised store australia wide.
    Funny you know, but when I was shopping around for a new camera recently I was looking at whether there might be a cheap 1DsMkIII about now that the 1Dx is in widely available numbers. I stumbled on this:

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/ca...iii/MTg4NA_A_A

Don't know what the veracity of it is, but it is certainly not the price I paid for mine when it was the latest and supposedly greatest. That's a cheap 1-series. Not a 1Ds, but still, a cheap intro to the series.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by Warbler; 23-08-2012 at 12:26pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast