Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Tassie must-see/do's

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tassie must-see/do's

Hello folks, so I'll be heading down to Tasmania in a couple of weeks and have realized that other than booking the flights to and fro Hobart, I haven't organised anything yet.
    So what are some of the must see and must do's for a 5 day trip.
    It's with the Mrs so it won't be photography specific (although I definitely will be bringing the camera) hence I posted the thread in the out of focus section but we're big foodies and wouldn't mind driving around sampling local produce and staying at B&B's.
    I personally wouldn't mind roughing it a bit with some nature trails/hikes but I don't think my wife would be keen unless I manage to find a spa retreat to occupy her time whilst I go hiking. Also are there any hot springs in Tassie?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers
    Dave
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MONA - not to take photos, but to be inspired.

Mt Field National Park (Russell Falls)
    Port Arthur
    Coal Mines (past Port Athur) - convict cole mines, not a big hole in the ground like current mining ops
    Freycinet (wine glass bay)
    Bay of Fires
    Cradle Mountain

and every bend in the road along the way
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick.
    I'll check those out and hopefully map out a nice 5-day route starting n ending in Hobart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The caves around Mole Creek are worth a look and while your there Melita honey farm at Chudeigh have some very good fruit and nut flavoured honeys.

pretty much anywhere in Tassie is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've just spent a month there and only saw half of what we expected to see, and that was only meant to be a fraction of what there is to see anyway. We're going back for at least another month next February.

I agree with Rick that Mona is very worthwhile. We were there for about 5 hours and didn't see everything we wanted to, but they give you an ipod to explain the exhibits and its not audio files, but text for each item and very small print. And of course, lighting is subdued as you'd expect. I don't generally need reading glasses unless there's very small print and low light so didn't take them and had a thumping headache so just had to leave.

If you've already booked your flights its too late to say fly in to Hobart & leave via Launceston, so perhaps with only 5 days just stay in the South East this trip.

Definitely Mt Field, but if you're interested in old (1820's) buildings perhaps then loop up to Hamilton, Bothwell (lots of pretty old buildings and Australia's oldest golf course, although that isn't that photogenic). From there head over to Oatlands and down through Richmond back to Hobart.