Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Remote Shutter Release Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remote Shutter Release Question

Hi

I am looking for a remote shutter release, and would prefer wireless.

I am getting lost in the options and functions on various models, and am hoping someone here can provide some clarity for me.

I use my 580exII on camera (550d) to control my 430exII. I mainly use eTTL as I am not totally familiar with manual flash functioning yet.

However, I have noticed that the wireless ones sit on the hotshoe, thus precluding me from using my 580exII on the camera.

I am happy to set shutter release etc on camera, so don't need full functioning remote - just need to press the trigger basically, and maybe hold down for bulb.. auto focus would be good for when I move into a shot.

Oh, and budget is modest... :-)

can anyone spill some clarity on me?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicaricacy View Post
    Hi

I am looking for a remote shutter release, and would prefer wireless.

However, I have noticed that the wireless ones sit on the hotshoe, thus precluding me from using my 580exII on the camera.

can anyone spill some clarity on me?
    Site advertiser Phottix has one to suit.

The yongnuo RF602 remotes are reliable, cheap and can be found readily on the net.

Most of the triggers can sit on the hotshoe but don't have to. Usually a trigger like those is used in conjunction with the camera mounted on a tripod and something as simple as a rubber band wrapped around the trigger and then over a tripod knob or hook keeps them in place.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Most of the triggers can sit on the hotshoe but don't have to. Usually a trigger like those is used in conjunction with the camera mounted on a tripod and something as simple as a rubber band wrapped around the trigger and then over a tripod knob or hook keeps them in place.
    Ah ok, I wasn't sure if they communicate to the camera via the hotshoe in some method. Thanks for that info - very helpful!

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a Vello remote shutter release for my Canon. It is a bit cheaper than the Canon one, does at least the same thing and can be wireless. Works well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just bought a yongnuo wireless remote/timer on eBay. Under $40.
    Works fine hooked somewhere - no need to have it on the hot shoe.

This is a timer as well - you can take pics at any interval you like, for as long as you like.
    Because its wireless, you can stand anywhere - you don't have to be in front of the camera.
    Works fine from about 10 metres away - and apparently will work from 50 metres or more.

Also came with a free cable that attaches the remote to the camera for when you don't need to shoot wireless.

I'm very happy with this accessory.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all

Went with the Yongnuo RF603 - it will act as a remote trigger for now, and when I learn more about manual flash settings will work with that as well.
    Epicaricacy
    Canon 5Dmkiii and a variety of lenses and other bits and pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all

Went with the Yongnuo RF603 - it will act as a remote trigger for now, and when I learn more about manual flash settings will work with that as well.
    X 2 ummm better make that x 3 as I got a kit with 3 of them in I for peanuts ex China on eBay.
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    X 2 ummm better make that x 3 as I got a kit with 3 of them in I for peanuts ex China on eBay.
    At this stage just X2.... no x3 kits I could see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up getting a wired one (also have the above Younguo) as the wireless ones dont have a bulb mode function?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this stage just X2.... no x3 kits I could see...
    The seller I used was jiakgong but I don't see as much Yongnuo stuff there now.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniFighter View Post
    I ended up getting a wired one (also have the above Younguo) as the wireless ones dont have a bulb mode function?
    While I was on my Chinese shopping spree, I bought a Nikon compatable wireless remote which I think cost under $3.00 so I use this if not using off camera flash.

The other items I added were 2 of the Yongnuo flashes and some flash brackets for mounting to light stands and a 3.0 metre wired TTL flash extension cord which has been handy. For quick and dirty work, I use the flash wireless mode either with 1 flash on the extension or trigger them with my SB400 on camera (as the D40 does not have a PC sync socket) so I still have TTL metering. I would have had change out of $300 for all this kit. If the D40 had external flash, I would use the wireless triggers a lot more.
    Last edited by rodw; 08-03-2012 at 6:09pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the * Removed : refer to site rules 3-7 * and if the remote trigger is as good as the riggers I would gladly make another purchase with them.I just don't have a need for remote triggering at present.
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-03-2012 at 6:57pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniFighter View Post
    Hmm, yes, for some reason I thought they did when purchasing.. But no.. However, for what they cost they were a bargain.... Suit my needs for now.