User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is going to trade up to the 5D MKIII?

Formerly user: Arzuhl
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is going to trade up to the 5D MKIII?

Seeing as how Canon have announced the 5D MKIII, how many of us will trade up to the new model? As for myself I am more than happy with my 5D MKII, it does all I want from it as i mainly shot Portraits and Landscapes the (slow?) AF does not worry me.
    I see the MKIII as basically a full frame 7D. Sure it would be great to have electronic leveling (for those early morning sunrises)
    100% viewfinder, definitely a plus but then again you get used to allowing a bit more when you look through the MKII finder.
    6 frames a second, not for Landscapes or Portraits.
    I dont use video so the specs for video are redundant for me.
    Same goes for the uprated 61 pt. 41 cross referenced AF points, not reqiured.
    Dual card slots, Ive never run out of space yet.
    So basically will I upgrade and pay the asking price of $3600 body only...........no way, I think they will bury me with my 5D MKII. Maybe for new full frame purchasers or Pros that can claim it for tax purposes but for those of us that have a MKII I dont see the need to upgrade.
    Thats my opinion on the new 5D, love to get your thoughts.
    Cheers.
    Cameras: Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D gripped.
    Lenses: 24mmmm f1.4 L, 24-105mm f4 L, 50mm f1.2 L, 85mm f1.2 II L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II
    Flash: Canon 600 EX RT.
    Tripod: Manfrotto 190CX Pro3, Manfrotto Automatic Monopod, Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head.
    Bank Manager: Unhappy.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't be. I'm more than happy with my 5DMKII.

There's nothing that the 5DMKIII has that will dramatically improve anything for me. It's made my 5DMKII just as valuable to me as it was before the release of the new model. Now I can sit back and enjoy my 5DMKII for the next 3 years and really get great value for money from it and see what the 5DMKIV has to offer in 2015.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my twin pair of 5D2s were only a stop-gap work horse camera for me for the last 2 years. Not 100% happy with it, when it came to high noise control and dynamic range it couldnt compare to D3/700s

I will be keeping one as back up and will be looking at the new 1DX, D4, D800 or 5D3 as a replacement.

most features in the 5D3 has is what should have been in the 5D2 - especially dual card slots. This is a very important feature for working professionals for data back up/redundancy when shooting for clients, especially things like weddings in case of card failure or loss.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    most features in the 5D3 has is what should have been in the 5D2 - especially dual card slots. This is a very important feature for working professionals for data back up/redundancy when shooting for clients, especially things like weddings in case of card failure or loss.
    Couldn't agree more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely no- but that is more a cost/benefit decision than anything else.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot see any reason to upgrade.

Like Graham, I shoot 'scapes and 'traits (and still-life), and while the AF system in the 5D3 is a significant improvement over the 5D2's AF system, for what I'm doing, it's not going to make much of a difference.

I tend not to get trapped by technology upgrade cycles.

If the ocean didn't destroy my original, 2006-vintage 5D in 2010, I'd probably still be using that.

My 5D2 is more than capable enough for the kind of photography in which I engage.

It won't turn to mustard because a successor has been announced.

Just as well, as I'd rather be out shooting than worrying about upgrades and throwing a lot of money at something which isn't going to make me a better photographer, or my images better.

If I was in the market for a camera, tha 5D3 would be the likely contender. Naturally I'd prefer an EOS-1DX, but there's a significant price difference between them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wont be trading up as such as i will keep and continue using my 7d, but i will be purchasing one after the frenzy has died down sometime later in the year.
    i want to get the best out of my lenses and i think the 5d3 will do this. to be truthfull, ive always been a little dissapointed with the iso performance of the 7d, and this is where the 5d3 excels, high iso looks immaculate. plus the better dynamic range over the 7d will be great.
    i was considering a 5d2 as they are now coming down in price, but there's just too much improvement in technology over the 4 years that makes paying more for the 5d3 worthwhile.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not the least interested I am happy enough with my one, even if its two years old.
    My next camera purchase will be the successor to the 7D when ever that comes out, next year maybe ?

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you guys I'd be happy with what you've got , I'm still making do with the 30D But I must admit it is still a great workhorse , No Bells and whistles camera , I dont need a Horizon leveler or Video , But I do still plan to get a Full frame in the near future , I'm with the other guys , I dont need a Gazillion frames per/sec or umpteen focus points for what I do , The reduced price of the MkII sounds good , And It's a proven item
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have a 60D, and I'm quite happy with it, but I'm itching to get a FF to improve the noise that I get on long, dark exposures.
    While I mainly use manual focus, the 5D2 would be adequate for me, and it's now quite cheap at just under $2K delivered, grey, I will buy a 5d3 probably around July when most of the hoopla has died down and the second or third lot has been manufactured.
    While I don't do a lot of action photography, I do like to do some, and the new focussing system really appealls to me.
    While I would love a 1Dx, my wife wouldn't like the price, but to me, the 5D3 is a more or less cut-down version of the 1Dx, and to me, it seems good value.
    From some of the reports I've read about it from people that have used it so far, the 5D3 is a big step up in noise control and high ISO shooting, and I think this is worth the difference in price along with the newer technology and features.
    While I don't do a lot of video, I do some, and would love the extra control the 3 has, and I would probably end up doing more video with the 3 than I do with the 60D.

The other point is, down the road when it comes time to sell, you'll get a lot more for the 3 than you would for the 2, and it will be easier to sell, and I like to have the latest technology.

Just my 2c worth.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adorama in the US has a great special on new 5D2's right now.
    For US$2100 you get the camera, a genuine extra battery + an aftermarket grip + 8gig CF card and some production software all thrown in.

Sounds like a very good deal to me..................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to really get my hands on both the 1Dx and 5D3 to really compare. Essentially the 5D3 seems to fulfill everythign i need which includes clean high iso. The extra bits for the 1Dx doesn't seem so tempting now, including the extra bulk from the 1Dx also is a downer. The 5d3 really is a event photographer's dream. Considering picking one up in April via grey.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll consider it for sure.

I have a 7D and 50D and while they are great cameras I am a bit of a pixel peeper (I know, but I just can't help it!) and I'm not thrilled by the images out of my 7D, it seems to be difficult to nail that sweetspot regularly, whereas the 50D and more so my old 450D came out very nice. I still look at some of the images from my old 450 and go WOW!

So for me, the 5DMk3 offers:
    • Full frame (yay!)
    • Hopefully clearer pixels than my 7D and especially better low light/high ISO performance and 22MP against 18, not that it is a big deal MPs aren't everything but I'll take em!
    • 61pt AF would be a nice upgrade from the 7D, good for my moving animals
    • Dual card slots is a big winner for me, I stress so much with the 7D about having a card failure etc and with an SD card slot I could use an eye-fi card
    • More auto bracketing capabilities
    • Full wireless control of the 600EX strobes (when I buys some!)
    • Quiet mode would be good, if I could still use it at 6fps no sadly only to 3fps, another issue with my 7D, it is rather loud!
    • In camera rating of pics I think I would use, if not for markers if nothing else
    • Edit to add, better control of auto ISO including setting min and max and minimum shutter speed! Nikon have had this for a while and I have needed this feature SO many times!

Negatives for me:
    • I go from 8fps to 6fps, bit of a bummer for some stuff I do, I'll have to try some with my 50D and see if I can live with that speed drop.
    • No on board flash for triggering my existing strobes which works nicely on my 7D, just an excuse to buy some 600's!
    • Price!
    Of course, given my wish list I should just get a 1DX, but that is just a crazy price, too much for me
    Last edited by etherial; 05-03-2012 at 8:54pm. Reason: Found some extra bits!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don't forget about some of the other features of the 5D3 like multiple exposures (up to 9 shots), extended bracketing (2,3,5 or 7 shots), and built-in variable HDR mode using 2-5 images + more.

Help!
    I'm salivating over the keyboard already!

Some of the shots I've seen taken at ISO 25,600 are pretty good too and very useable.

You could take a shot of a black cat in a coal bin at midnight without a flash!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll stick with the 5dII for a while - I'm a looooonng way from exceeding it's capabilities
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wish I could buy a 1Dx with out the video for the price of the 5DIII id be all over it all the video stuff is just a waste of time for me.
    I do Like the new 5 though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it will be a good camera but I will stick with my mk11 does what I bought if for and will be with me for some time yet, buy the way it is cheaper than what I paid for my mk11 have found it for $3045 body only or $3728 with 24.105L at outbackphoto, but I am thinking of getting a 1D mkiv for birding the price has dropped heaps have found it for $3695 now just have to convince the finance manager
    Last edited by ashey; 06-03-2012 at 3:01am.
    My stuff.Canon 5DMk11 Canon 40d BG-E2N Canon 17/40 F.4 L
    Canon 400 F5.6 L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as others I am more than happy with my 5D2. If I was going to sell it and invest in a new one I would sooner put the money towards more glass.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    happy with my current 5dmkII and it will still continue to get used
    the 5dmkIII will however replace my 7D when Marianne and go on our photographic holidays
    the main reason : images we have chosen for display are split quite evenly between the 5dmkII and 7D (ie. composition etc doesn't matter what camera you're using) however, the limitations of the 7D in terms of image clarity, high iso ability and the fact that you can't get a 10mm focal length lens for crop sensors that goes wide open to F2.8 has led to a few frustrations at many scenes for the one who's got the 7D for the day.

2 stops difference in high iso capability also opens up a whole new world of possibilities for night images too
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *removed. post was reported as being off-topic and just trying to inflame a brand argument*
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-03-2012 at 7:22am.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast