Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Nokia 41 mega pixel smart phone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nokia 41 mega pixel smart phone

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...a-808-pureview

Nope did not read that title wrong it does infact say "41 mega pixels" (38 effective)
    "The 808 can take photos up to 38-megapixels in resolution, checking in at 7728 x 5354"

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/02...gapixel-sensor

pretty interesting.....

thoughts people?
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to see it shooting at ISO 1600..LOL
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colour me fanboy but I'm pretty darn impressed with the sample images thus far. The caveat is the only samples I've seen so far have been taken in good light.
    But I'll go out on a limb and say that this will be a milestone camera/phone and the future benchmark for top end smartphones, not to mention the P&S market.

I really think there are mounting evidence that increasing pixel count does not equal poorer quality, in particular with respect to noise. But of course I'm talking about the entire image seen as a whole as oppose to per pixel noise characteristics.
    And increasing the sampling frequency increases image quality, not decrease it assuming comparable underlying technology.
    But of course the trade off is file size but that's why I'm glad to see Nokia's normal output size are 5 and 8MP rather than original 38mp (the largest single resolution possible given the multi-ratio nature of the oversized sensor) file size, although you can choose that size if you want.
    What is important is the total sensor area and this thing is just shy of a Nikon CX sensor at 1.2" diagonal.
    I may be proven wrong but I won't be surprised to see very usable ISO 1600 photos, not pixel peeping of course.

All of this with respect to the intended market - your everyday consumer, not the photography enthusiast shooting RAW and squeezing every last ounce of IQ with careful technique etc.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Considering this camera phone is using the Symbian OS, it will be interesting to see how it sells, cause Symbian stopped being relevant about 3 years ago.
    Last edited by ricktas; 02-03-2012 at 7:45pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, pity about the OS. If it was Android or iOS then it'll be making even bigger waves.
    Hello Samsung.... I see a Galaxy Photo in my crystal ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my understanding the handset uses over sampling to get to the 41mpx mark, from what I remember, it equals out to the equivalent of a 5mpx shot from a dedicated camera?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littleblightie View Post
    From my understanding the handset uses over sampling to get to the 41mpx mark, from what I remember, it equals out to the equivalent of a 5mpx shot from a dedicated camera?
    I think that really is the point though. 41MP is really not useful to anyone in this level of camera and optics.
    What is useful are pictures around 5MP-8MP with better levels of detail and low light performance.

41MP is probably as much for marketing as it is for tech's sake.
    41MP makes ppl take a second look but its really the size of the sensor that's important in this phone.
    But if they jz went with 8MP (like the other smart phones), no one would bother taking a second look and find out just how big (relatively) the sensor is.
    Dunno if it'll be a commercial success for Nokia. As Rick pointed out Symbian's more or less irrelevant these days but since the concept's not anything patentable, I can't see why the likes of Samsung wouldn't do it with Android.
    Google really needs to write a camera OS, but I digress.
    Not sure about Apple though. The form has always been very important in Apple products so unless they've also figured out a way to shrink that lens even further and still maintain the quality, I can't see Apple compromising form for a considerably better camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read somewhere the reason is that actual Android version is not capable of supporting the phone´s camera...
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!