Thread: Photoshop CS5 or CS5 Extended?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photoshop CS5 or CS5 Extended?

Hi all,

Looking at investing in Photoshop CS5, but looking at the prices, what's with the huge price difference (around $600 in most cases) between the regular CS5 and Extended? Extended claims to have all the same features, plus 3D animation stuff I won't need, so why is Extended much cheaper?

Also, I hear CS6 is coming out soon? What are the upgrade fees generally?

I'm getting a student edition for study (and hobby and work), so does anyone have any places they'd recommend getting it from?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Harris technology a few times and student purchase is no drama. Just remember that you have to be endorsed as a student by Adobe before you can enter a license string and use the software.

I can't help with the versions though!
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Investing? Hope you get something out of it.
    Extended likely means "merely" extended price, while they don't say that the other is "over-" extended in price.

(Force fields up! Hit it about "intellectual property".)
    |||
    CC, Image editing OK.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need extended. That is for 3D editing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/book.../9789993668237

Student price from the Co-op Bookshop $175 for Extended.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgrub View Post
    I'm getting a student edition for study (and hobby and work)
    I hope by 'work' you don't mean paid work, because you are not supposed to use student licenses for commercial work.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    I have used Harris technology a few times and student purchase is no drama. Just remember that you have to be endorsed as a student by Adobe before you can enter a license string and use the software.

I can't help with the versions though!
    Cool, that's no problem. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by camerasnoop View Post
    You don't need extended. That is for 3D editing.
    I know I don't need it, but because it's significantly cheaper I might as well go for that one, but that's why I'm checking if they are both the same versions just the only difference being one has 3D editing capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    I hope by 'work' you don't mean paid work, because you are not supposed to use student licenses for commercial work.
    It's for the rare situations where I might need to bring work home I don't finish in the office. That will be 10% of the use, I'm hardly going to get a second key or something just for that small portion.

I appreciate the replies, but no one has really answered my first two questions. Anyone have any info on these?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your question was why is one version so much cheaper? The answer is the same as it is for most things, features! Take a car, add alloy wheels, sunroof, leather seats, etc and you pay a premium for these extras, but they don't (generally) make the car perform better, be more fuel efficient etc.

You need to decide what features you want, and will use, and then buy based on that. No use spending an extra $800 on a GPS navigation system, if all you ever do is drive around your local suburb, eh? You have already said you do not want 3D animation, so I think you already know the answer to which version you need to get.

Re using the student version for work, I seriously doubt you will get caught, but if you do, you might end up with a substantial fine. Up to you to decide if it is worth doing or not. Also this forum is publicly visible, so someone at Adobe could already have read this.
    Last edited by ricktas; 04-03-2012 at 12:10pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a version comparison
    http://www.pointsinfocus.com/2010/04...re-comparison/

In Australia, CS5 shows as costing $1168, CS5 Extended costs $1761

However, as you are looking at the Student/Teacher edition, CS5 extended costs $201.00

The reason you are seeing a price difference is that you are comparing the regular price for CS5 with the Student price for CS5 Extended. There is no Student version of just CS5

Thus, if you are student you are better off buying the CS5 Extended, even if you do not plan on using the 3D features.

Here is the info on the usage limitations for academic editions;

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/stor...onditions&nr=0

In terms of usage, all I could find was that it must be for use on your personally owned computer. I can't find anywhere that you are not allowed to use it for commercial work - just not on a commercially owned computer. For example, if you worked from home for a photography company, and they provided you with a PC, then you would not be able to. However, from what I can read, if you worked from home for a photography company and used your own personal pc, then you are eligible. For example, the blurb on the Student/Teacher edition of Litghtroom 3 tells you to;

Focus on what you love about photography with Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 3 software, an intuitive digital darkroom and efficient assistant designed for serious amateur and professional photographers

I would assume a professional is one that makes money from their photos...

Quoted from Adobe's Restrictions of Use;
    Restrictions on use
    You may purchase only one license of any Adobe Student and Teacher Edition product within a 12 month period. Purchases of Suite editions (such as Design Premium or Master Collection) are limited to one title per platform per year. This license may be used only on your privately owned computer. Student and Teacher Edition products may not be resold

If in doubt you could always contact Adobe.

Hope this helps!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Your question was why is one version so much cheaper? The answer is the same as it is for most things, features! Take a car, add alloy wheels, sunroof, leather seats, etc and you pay a premium for these extras, but they don't (generally) make the car perform better, be more fuel efficient etc.

You need to decide what features you want, and will use, and then buy based on that. No use spending an extra $800 on a GPS navigation system, if all you ever do is drive around your local suburb, eh? You have already said you do not want 3D animation, so I think you already know the answer to which version you need to get.

Re using the student version for work, I seriously doubt you will get caught, but if you do, you might end up with a substantial fine. Up to you to decide if it is worth doing or not. Also this forum is publicly visible, so someone at Adobe could already have read this.
    Good to know and also good point, Rick. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Epicaricacy View Post
    Here is a version comparison
    http://www.pointsinfocus.com/2010/04...re-comparison/

In Australia, CS5 shows as costing $1168, CS5 Extended costs $1761

However, as you are looking at the Student/Teacher edition, CS5 extended costs $201.00

The reason you are seeing a price difference is that you are comparing the regular price for CS5 with the Student price for CS5 Extended. There is no Student version of just CS5

Thus, if you are student you are better off buying the CS5 Extended, even if you do not plan on using the 3D features.

Here is the info on the usage limitations for academic editions;

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/stor...onditions&nr=0

In terms of usage, all I could find was that it must be for use on your personally owned computer. I can't find anywhere that you are not allowed to use it for commercial work - just not on a commercially owned computer. For example, if you worked from home for a photography company, and they provided you with a PC, then you would not be able to. However, from what I can read, if you worked from home for a photography company and used your own personal pc, then you are eligible. For example, the blurb on the Student/Teacher edition of Litghtroom 3 tells you to;

Focus on what you love about photography with Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 3 software, an intuitive digital darkroom and efficient assistant designed for serious amateur and professional photographers

I would assume a professional is one that makes money from their photos...

Quoted from Adobe's Restrictions of Use;
    Restrictions on use
    You may purchase only one license of any Adobe Student and Teacher Edition product within a 12 month period. Purchases of Suite editions (such as Design Premium or Master Collection) are limited to one title per platform per year. This license may be used only on your privately owned computer. Student and Teacher Edition products may not be resold

If in doubt you could always contact Adobe.

Hope this helps!

That is what I'm missing! Damn, can't believe I missed that now. Also interesting take on the terms of use, I doubt I will need it for work overflow but just mentioned it because you never know. Mostly for my uni units and hobby. Thanks for the info!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Except in this case the version looked at has MORE features for less money... but it is because the student version with more features being compared to the non-student version...