User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Tripod research

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tripod research

I'm researching a tripod and am getting a bit overwhelmed by all the options. I do a lot of macro photography of plants and things close to the ground, but would idealy like to be able to use the same tripod for landscapes and stuff working at head height. What do the marco photographers here use? Do I realistically need two tripods for the two appllications? Any advicec would be much appreciated.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter618 View Post
    Do I realistically need two tripods for the two appllications?
    No but with a few disclaimers.

You will really need to define your needs regarding weight, portability, rigidity, your physical height and the size of your wallet / credit card.
    Many tripods that come without a centre column that allow almost ground level work and at the same time be tall enough with the legs extended to work at eye level for someone around the 1.7 metre + tall mark.
    Probably for macro work you are going to need a good quality ball head and that can be the most important and expensive part of the equation.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter618 View Post
    ..... What do the marco(sic) photographers here use? .....
    Depending on the type of macro photography ... Mirror Lockup!

Do a search on tripods using the search feature up in the top right corner ... very common question with many answers already posted.

But I always advise to consider your budget as the most important priority when choosing a tripod.
    Without a budget, I'll recommend a Gitzo 5541 series for tripod legs.

Ballhead is also vitally important, and there are a few great brands to look out for ... price and features and preference is about the only real difference between the manufacturers.

with a few quick release plates of worth .. you're probably looking at close to AU$2K in total.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you aren't going to use gear that weighs more than about 3kg, a very good tripod for macro work is the Vanguard Alto Pro CT263 (carbon).
    The centre column can be put into any angle very easily and is quite stable for anythng under 3-4 kilos and is not too expensive either.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I've just been reading and watching reviews of the Benbo trekker Mk.3 and the Vanguard Alto Pro CT263. Benny, may I ask, why the carbon fibre model? What's wrong with aluminium?

I am leaning towards the Vanguard Alto Pro, I think the benbo would be heavier and I need to lug this thing around...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the aluminium version of the Vanguard, and while it is Ok with lenses up to a 24-105, it does shake just a little when focussing manually.
    I also have a Benro C/F tripod which doesn't shake anywhere near as much, even with my 100-400, so I would imagine that the C/F version of the Vanguard would be better in that regard.
    It is also rated to carry 1kg more.
    I have also read in more than one article that C/F tripods are more stable, and also lighter, than comparable aluminium ones.