User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: How long should a High speed card last?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long should a High speed card last?

I was let down today when my card failed

I am wondering how long should I expect to get out of a card... It is a 16 GB high speed Amicroe and less than 6 months old I got from the shop

Any recommendations on the best quality and best life... From now on I will buy 2 and keep 1 in the bag.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would expect any card to last a heck of a lot longer than 6 months.
    You say it was bought from a shop, if so I would be going back to the shop and asking for a new one under the retailers obligation to provide merchantable goods. Most items carry at least a 12 month warranty.
    If you are after cards that are guaranteed to be genuine and come with a proper warranty then I would suggest having a look at Sandisk and Lexar products from site advertiser Cheap Chips. They offer great prices and fast delivery.
    Last edited by ricktas; 27-02-2012 at 7:24am.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick & Andrew

I was very disappointed... I got it from Camera House, it would have been easier to deal with if I had got it from Ebay, but I didnt... Will take it back but without a receipt I dont have much of a shot...

Will certainly check out cheap as chips - I do like a bargin
    Last edited by Oritah; 27-02-2012 at 9:27pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 months is way too short! Flash memory is typically NAND type and these days the write cycle expectancy is 100,000K on average. What that means is by right you should be able to fill up the card full 100,000 times before it fails. Sadly, life is not as such... what usually fails is the controller/main circuit, and it should last longer than 6 months! My Sandisk 16GB 60MB/s CF card has lasted me almost 2 years now and about 40k photos.

As for best quality and lifespan. Look at the usual suspects of Lexar, Sandisk and if you're on a budget Transcend. My 2GB transcend which i purchased about 10 years ago is still going strong in my first PNS. I really don't know what happened that caused Lexar and Sandisk to overtake Transcend in terms of branding but they used to be one of the best in the business. I have a transcend 32GB 600X that i use occasionally as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar problem, I have two Scandisk extreme cards, one 8 gig and one 16 gig. The 8 gig works fine however the 16 gig plays up from time to time. First off, the 16 gig card has problems recording video. Secondly, sometimes I get a card error. I actually had this happen today after using it for a month without any problems (other than for video). I bought it from a store in Sydney but going back to the store is not an option (don't live there). In any case, I have lost the receipt (girlfriend put it through the washing machine I think). I wonder whether it's worth giving them a ring?