Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Internet Bandwidth Speed Test

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ No PS here William. I've been lazy and will learn within the next week. that's a commitment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Print screen

PrintScreen will work as described by William, but using Word instead. I didn't know we could upload Word documents to this site, but we can indeed, using the second (? - check your screen) icon from the LHS in the top row - see attached,
    (it will also work direct into an e-mail)
    Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ian Brewster; 01-03-2012 at 1:19pm. Reason: further info
    Sony DSCR1 bridge camera; Sony Alpha SLT A57; Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens; Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens; converted Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens; Filters: ND4,ND8,ND1000, CP; Photoshop CS6. 82.7% of statistics are made up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur and Mark,

My Router is already set up. Not sure if I have looked in the right Status area, but I cannot see the Modem as such. However, the attached screen shot shows some data - is this what I want?

Mark, the other attachment shows what I could find from Control Panel>Network Connections>Local Area Network - is this what you expected? I am with Optus but don't know how to get the DNS (?) address - I believe it changes each time I connect.

PS( LAN shows 1 Gbps - is this meaningful?)
    Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ian Brewster; 01-03-2012 at 2:20pm.

dieselpower
    In the router status.doc you're in the right place - but I can't see detail in what you've posted and can't make out what it says. I have a feeling though, that what you're looking for isn't in the popup window on top, but it should show in the window behind that what the sync rate is. I can't remember exactly the wording, and I don't have access to a netgear router to check, but I think it should be something like 'line downstream' and 'line upstream'. It will be measured in kbps and may look something like: line downstream: 8192kbps.

Your external IP will change each time you connect, but that doesn't affect the internal address of the router - it's always fixed. The address on your computer is assigned by the router (it gives addressing to all devices that connect to it from the inside segment, ie. plugged in via lan or on wireless(. This should rarely, if ever change on your machine.

I'll try and get onto a netgear modem tonight and find the exact wording for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
    In the router status.doc you're in the right place - but I can't see detail in what you've posted and can't make out what it says. I have a feeling though, that what you're looking for isn't in the popup window on top, but it should show in the window behind that what the sync rate is. I can't remember exactly the wording, and I don't have access to a netgear router to check, but I think it should be something like 'line downstream' and 'line upstream'. It will be measured in kbps and may look something like: line downstream: 8192kbps.

I'll try and get onto a netgear modem tonight and find the exact wording for you.
    Many thanks for this attention. I'll try and get a better screen shot - I ran into trouble with file size limits on this site.

(Screen shot now attached)

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ian Brewster; 01-03-2012 at 6:42pm.

dieselpower
    OK - what you have there is a router, not a modem/router - the WAN port plugs into another modem. It's the modem which will show your line speed and stats. This is not an unusual setup, but it's not overly common - most people just have the one device.

To find the stats you'll need to bypass the modem but, at the risk of completely hosing your network, it might be better to let it lie? It's definitely possible to do but it will likely take a fair amount of screwing around to do...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dieselpower,

I'll leave well alone! I had enough trouble getting the router set up.

Ian

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brewster View Post
    PrintScreen will work as described by William, .....
    Today learned how to do screen shots using a thing called Snipping Tool in Vista. Can save as a JPEG. Here's where I found out about it..... http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/mic...ippingtool.htm

Now lets see if it actually works,

Capture.JPG
    Another Capture.JPG

Sorry to hijack the thread Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's got it , I think he's got it, Good stuff Mark , Now just remember to use it when you see something weird that you need for reference to show somone something Well done , Took me a while to work it out as well
    Last edited by William; 01-03-2012 at 10:20pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all over!

Technician came, tested this and that.
    That's it: get a new phone wall socket, for a few bucks.
    Line speed was a clean 15000KBits/sec straight through the phone wires.
    Through the wall socket it was hardly working.

Today's bandwidth figures varied between 4000 and 6000KBits/sec.

Am (hppier now)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123