User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Just moved from Canon 7D to Sony NEX 7 ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Just moved from Canon 7D to Sony NEX 7 ...

So I stumbled across a store that actually had the NEX 7 in stock. They also had a the Zeiss 24mm. So I've taken the plunge.

My initial thoughts;

EVF is not as good as SLR - although I'm getting use to it.
    Both the camera and the lens are outstanding build quality.
    Auto focus on video is COOL ... although I suspect everyone will be doing that this year.
    The panorama modes are neat, but I can get better results from photoshop.
    IQ is probably not as high as I would like but at this stage I'm blaming the monkey behind the lens.
    It is small and REALLY packs a punch.. amazing stats for its' size.

I'm really looking forward to more E mount lenses being relaxed this year. I may also invest in the the A mount adapter as the range of specific lenses, ie. telephoto is much better.

I'll get some pics up when I'm happy with them.

Canon 5D Mark II, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope we get to see some of these photos in the upcoming days
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This camera is my Wish List, so looking forward to results! (not sure what you mean about EVF not being as good as the Canon - could you enlarge please?)

Ian
    Sony DSCR1 bridge camera; Sony Alpha SLT A57; Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens; Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens; converted Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens; Filters: ND4,ND8,ND1000, CP; Photoshop CS6. 82.7% of statistics are made up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Outcast,

I wasn't acting dumb about the EVF - I was just dumb! I thought EV must relate to Exposure Value, but of course it is Electronic Viewfinder!

Ian

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi outcast,
    Thanks for the quick report. I'm also one who's very intrigued by the NEX-7 and had a quickplay chance recently.
    IMO the camera grips surprisingly well (contrary to some reports) and balances fine with the kit lens.
    I've also used a friend's NEX-5 and 18-200 but that combo is quite front heavy.

I also agree with you the EVF was fine but wasn't a revelation that some reviews make it out to be. My previous reference was a GH2 EVF which is already supposedly good so that might be the reason for my opinion. Compared to a small OVF I might actually choose the EVF but it's still a fair way from a higher end large OVF.

Let us know how it goes over the coming weeks of use
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Outcast,
    I'd also be interested in seeing pics from the NEX 7. I love my DSLR but increasing age and decreasing strength have me looking for something more practical in weight to carry around on a more regular basis. It would also be nice to have something smaller to take to a party but would give a better image quality than a normal point and shoot or a camera in a mobile. I always feel a bit self conscious shoving my DSLR into someone's face when everyone else is taking pics with phones and credit card sized cameras
    Carole

Canon 550D|Canon 15-85mm|Canon 70-300mm|Canon 100mm f2.8 macro|50mm f1.8 II|
    Sony NEX 6|Sony 16-50mm| Sony 55-210mm|Sony RX100
    www.carolelloydphotography.com