Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Nikon's CaptureNX2 and ViewNX2 updates:

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon's CaptureNX2 and ViewNX2 updates:

See HERE if you use Nikon's software for the updates.

Capture NX2 goes from v2.3.0 -> v2.3.1

ViewNX2 is updated from v2.2.5(32bit mode only) -> v2.3.0 in both 32bit and 64bit now.

If you're using 64bit CNX2 and used the Picture Control Utility, it couldn't be accessed in 32bit ViewNX2.
    The update to 64 bit ViewNX2 should resolve this.

I think the update for CNX2 is mainly for the new camera arrivals, but of course there ViewNX2 has the added install option for 64bit(I think only in Windows tho?)
    There are a few other quite insignificant tweaks, but now in ViewNX2 there is new a 'save as' option under the File menu(where there never used to be one).
    Only problem is that it's quite useless in many ways.
    It seems to only save as the same file type as the original file .. that is, it's not quite the same action as in CNX2(where you can instantly and easily save in a different format to the file you are working on.. ie. quick conversion!
    No!!.... It only saves the file as another version.
    I just tried it on an NEF, and tried to save the NEF file as a jpg( ie. quick conversion) to see if it did the conversion. But it saved the NEF file as blahblah.jpg.NEF!!

I can see the point, in that what it's doing is to save an image file but without destruction of the original.
    That is, if you want to save a quick version of a file say for comparison purposes, 'save as' saves the file you've edited to a new file, but leaves the original file as per the last save point .. whether that is in original condition, or edited on a prior session.
    Also quite annoying is the lack of the keyboard shortcut via Ctrl+Shift+S to do a 'save as'.
    Ctrl+S gives us a save on the currently active file, but traditionally on a Windows box, Ctrl+Shift+S opens up the 'save as' dialogue box (as it does in CaptureNX2).

Actually, I have really checked to see if the function of the Shift key can be changed.
    I'm guessing that you don't get the keyboard shortcut, because the Shift key is tied to the instant 100% view feature (in default installation, but configurable to 50%, 200% and 400% view, but not with the ability to turn it off!). Pressing the Shift key, the image is instantly zoomed into 100% pixel view at the point where the mouse is on the image.

Anyhow, VNX2 2.3.0 does feels a bit nippier, but I've been one of the lucky ones where both my installations of Nikon software have always seemed to run quite fast anyhow.

The few conversions from raw to jpg and tiff that I've done, seem to save a touch quicker now.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur - big thanks for the information and the links which saved a lot of time.

regards
    Mongo
    Nikon and Pentax user

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries Mongo.

Haven't been doing much photography lately, but of the very little I have done, I only just ran a recent image through CNX2 and did some NR, both in the Develop tool area, and independently via the Adjust menu in the toolbar, and both rendered the image quickly .... compared to what I remember of the 32bit CNX2 installation.

I haven't tried the astro NR feature yet .. on an starscape that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, just returned from my trip to the south and I was trying to see my new photos in ViewNX2 but it shows them only for an instant and then it turns all black...was looking for a fix but will try updating to the new version right away as it may solve the problem.

regards
    Last edited by Patagonia; 21-02-2012 at 3:51pm.
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I had activated accidentally the "loss of detail in shadows" feature But I upgraded from to the new ViewNX2 version (from 2.0.xxxx) and it handles my .nef files on the 2.4 Core 2 Duo Macbook much faster, its a big improvement...will play a little more to see how it goes but it can postpone my plans of computer upgrade that were mainly because of .nef editing
    Last edited by Patagonia; 21-02-2012 at 4:36pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patagonia View Post
    Ok, I had activated accidentally the "loss of detail in shadows" feature
    Yep, that will do it for you.

View NX2 S = shadow detail H = highlight detail

Capture NX2 shift + S = shadow detail shift + H = highlight detail
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.