User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: To carry your camera, or not to carry?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To carry your camera, or not to carry?

Aaarrrggghhh. I made the wrong choice again today. I had to visit family who were organisers at the Bega Show. We all went back to their place for a cuppa and lunch, and returned to the show in the afternoon.
    Both times I decided I didn't want to lug several Kgs of camera around with me on a hot humid day so left it in the car back at their house. Wrong Choice!

Got back there in the afternoon just in time to see a motorcross stunt team start doing some amazing jumps, somersaults, and mid-air tricks.
    Followed by a Canadian Lumberjack Group doing some pretty flashy stuff with chainsaws, and pole climbing gear etc.
    Both would have been some great practice time with subjects and photography styles I've not tried before.
    A bit annoying since last week I made the opposite wrong choice - I actually DID lug the whole damned lot around for an entire day in the heat at the 4WD Spectacular, and not once needed to even open the camera bag, let alone get the camera out of it.

I got into the habit when I first bought the camera, of putting it in the car with me everywhere I went, and I actually had it in the car today too, but there's a big difference between carrying it in the car, and having it on your person when it's not exactly pocket sized. It's at least a couple of Kgs of gear to carry around in the hope you might need it.

So just how do you go about deciding when and where to carry your camera? They're big, bulky, heavy, but offer a much better IQ if you do happen to see something worth shooting than your phone camera will.
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 18-02-2012 at 9:17pm.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.