How Do I:Your SETTINGS menu

How Do I Next: How Do I:How to post and link your photos into forum threads
This page is a chapter in the book How Do I.
The Settings menu.

Often we get threads posted on the site that say “ I wish I could do....”, when the answer is already in existence.
Your Settings is your way of customising the AP experience to suit your needs.

To access your Settings click it on the Settings item at the top right of Ausphotography.

Firstly, down the left side of your Settings is a menu, it is your access to your account and profile on Ausphotography.
Below is a summary of what you can do in your Settings, in the order that the menu appears to you.

My Messages

This is where you can manage your private messages. You can send a new message, delete old messages you no longer need etc

My Subscriptions

You can manage your thread subscriptions here, deleting subscriptions to threads you no longer wish to follow. Create folders to sort your subscriptions into groups.

My Account/General Settings

* Change your email and or password
Note that if you change your email address, you will be sent a confirmation email to the new email address.
You have to click the link in that confirmation email, or you will not be able to post to the site.

* Change your location information
Amend your location by Country, state or town.

* Add a custom user title
(once you have over 30 days membership and 50 posts)

* Change other optional information, your occupation, camera gear, other hobbies, add your date of birth,
your personal website, your contacts (skype, yahoo, msn messenger etc

Profile Privacy

In this menu you can amend how much information is visible to other members, or guests to Ausphotography.

Edit Profile Picture

This is where you can upload a profile picture. Note this is different to your avatar. Your avatar appears on the top left of every post you make on the site.

Networking

This is where you can add/remove other Ausphotography members that you might consider friends (or not..hehe).
Your friends show on the site homepage (left hand side), letting you see who of them are currently online.

Gallery Settings

Another site feature that is not used extensively on Ausphotography, but you can create albums and upload photos to it.
However the Ausphotography Gallery (menu across the top of the site), is a site add-on that allows more features.
Note that critiquing is done directly in the forums, not in Pictures and Albums, or the Gallery.

Edit Avatar

This allows you to select an avatar from the Ausphotography avatar database, or upload your own from your PC.
Avatars appear at the top left of every post you make on the site.

Edit Signature

Your signature will appear under your first post to a thread.
Signatures on Ausphotography are setup so that they don’t appear more than once in a thread,
so that they do not become a distraction to the topic of discussion.
Your signature can contain personal information, your camera gear and a link to your personal website.
Signatures cannot contain commercial links, advertisements (unless you are a paid site advertiser).
Signatures must also not contain items for sale. Please see the site rules (rule 16) for full requirement limits on member signatures.

Edit Email & Password

You can edit/change your email and password here. note that if you change your email address,
you will be sent a confirmation email to the new email address.
You have to click the link in that confirmation email, or you will not be able to post to the site.

General Settings

* Invisible
If you have over 30 days membership and 50 posts you can set your profile to invisible.
Note administrators and moderators can still see you online, but you will not appear in the who’s online list to general Ausphotography members.

* vCard
Allows you to setup a virtual business card for other members to download.

* Messaging and notifications
You have a large range of options here about how any messages and emails sent/received
through the Ausphotography site software, are delivered.
You can also change the way subscriptions work for you. Subscriptions are a way of monitoring the activity in specific threads on Ausphotography.

* Thread display Options
You can manage the way the forum threads appear for you, you can have newest posts first, or last.
You can turn the display of signatures and avatars on and off.
Change how many posts appear before threads are turned into more than one page.
Change settings so older threads are not shown to you.

* Thread start date
Turn on or off the site feature to display a thread start date after the thread title when viewing new posts or forums.

* Date and Time Options
Amend your timezone, change which day of the week you like to have as the start
of your week (changes the calendars on Ausphotography) to match your settings.

* Miscellaneous Options
You can determine how the editor works for you (when creating a new post),
You can change from the default site skin (the appearance of Ausphotograpy) to one of our other skins.

You can choose to exclude some forums from the New Posts. When you click New Posts with some of these options turned on,
all new posts to those forums will be suppressed.
You can still access them by going to the forum directly, by using the Forum menu at the top of Ausphotography.

I hope the above has given you and overview of the features available to you, in your Settings.

This is the Settings menu...

My Messages
* Inbox
* Sent Items
* Send New Message
* Track Messages
* Edit Folders

My Subscriptions
* Subscriptions
* List Subscriptions
* Edit Folders

My Settings