Pentax firmware can be found here:
General site: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support...d_digital.html
They are all similar so here a typical upgrade readme.txt, check the specific for your camera model.
PENTAX K-5 Firmware Updating to Version 1.02
* Firmware is the software that runs inside digital cameras.
K-5 digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00/1.01.
How to check version
Turn the power on while pressing the MENU button.
The Firmware version is displayed for about 5 seconds at the center
of the LCD monitor.
Perform the above operation without inserting the SD/SDHC card
containing Firmware in the camera.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [Caution] * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Be sure to use fully charged battery (D-LI90)
If the camera turns off during updating due to lack of battery power, the
camera will become inoperable. If this happens, a charge will be made for
repairs even if within the warranty period.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
1. Provide a formated SD/SDHC memory card for the update software (with at
least 32MB of available memory space).
The downloaded file is self-extracting.
The following files are extracted.
readme.txt : this document
fwdc209b.bin : Firmware
Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc209b.bin] to the root directory in
the SD/SDHC card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware
update file by inserting the SD/SDHC card into your camera and then
connecting the camera directly to your computer.
2. Insert the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full
by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.
3. Insert the update SD/SDHC card (prepared in step 1) into the camera
and close card cover.
4. Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.
5. "NOW LOADING" appears in the LCD monitor, and will change to the
"PROGRAM UPDATE". At the bottom of the LCD monitor,
CURRENT VERSION 1.00/1.01
UPDATE VERSION 1.02
will be displayed.
6. Press the four-way controller to select "YES" and press the "OK" button.
7. "UPDATING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the
update is completed.
It will take approximately 90~150 seconds to complete update.
8. When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left
bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.
9. Remove the update SD/SDHC card from the camera.
10. To check the Firmware version in your camera, turn the camera on while
pressing the MENU button.
Check that the version displayed in the LCD monitor is "Ver.1.02"
The camera automatically starts up after about 5 seconds.
When updating is finished, the update SD/SDHC card still contains the
If you want to use this card to take pictures, delete the Firmware file