PDA

View Full Version : GADGETS

PJI254
17-02-2012, 7:39pm
There are heaps of items that you can buy to assist with camera support.
One I made up (with the help of my mother in law) when I left the Army, was cutting up the legs
of my Cam Trousers, sewing up one end and having velcro on the other.
When in Fiji I simply bought a bad of dried peas and stuffed then in my "sacK".
When I left I simply donated them to a family.
I found the "sack" extremely usefull for Landscape and the like, if your prepared to get down and dirty.
At home I use rice or peas as it lasts for ages.
You could try your own from an old set of jeans or buy one online from the UK for $50+.....................

ricktas
17-02-2012, 7:42pm
Note that anyone doing this, if you put food (grains etc) inside your bag, you cannot bring it back into Australia. Quarantine issues surround bags filled with grains/seeds.

PJI254
17-02-2012, 7:48pm
What Rick said - why I donated the peas.
You can also make smaller versions of the "sacks" and use them on the beach so your tripod does not sink.

Col

ameerat42
17-02-2012, 7:59pm
Sounds interesting. Got a pic?

PJI254
18-02-2012, 3:20pm
ameerat42,
Here you go. Used a ruler for size. The second image show the "sack" use as a tripod weight.
I should not that, peas/rice are double (zip lock) bagged to prevent moisture

ameerat42
18-02-2012, 7:13pm
OK, now I get it. Ta 4 that.

bobt
18-02-2012, 7:42pm
Or ... you can go the other way. Get a sack about the same size, and fill it with the foam beans from a beanbag. That makes a nice little beanbag which you can then sit on top of any rough surface at all, and sit the camera on top of it. You don't have to carry a tripod, and you can arrange the camera at any angle you fancy without it touching anything. It supports the camera well, and when not in use it is a handy little cushion to protect your camera from damage. Ideal for travelling as it is a very light, dual purpose extra.

mongo
20-02-2012, 9:11pm
Mongo has no idea why people would want to carry extra weight around with them !! Mongo just hangs his very heavy camera bag on the hook under his tripod. It is plenty heavy enough with the remaining gear in it even when it is more than half empty. :D