PDA

View Full Version : 580EXII as a dumb slave?

Judyd
17-02-2012, 9:06am
does anybody know if i can use the canon 580exii as a dumb slave - and i'm talking flash in manual mode only. I am working with a small group of friends and we want to pool our equipment for shoots. Last night we were testing what flashes would work in what configuration with which camera. And the only two flashes we couldn't get to work as dumb slaves were the 580exii and a sony flash.

I've looked in the flash manual and it doesn't mention anything. I set the flash as a slave but still it wouldn't work.

Any thoughts anyone?

thanks
Judy

jjphoto
17-02-2012, 1:01pm
I'm not sure what you are expecting of the flash. If you put it in manual mode and then trigger it with an optical sensor, radio receiver or plain cable then it will fire. There's nothing to it. I do it all the time. In fact more so than using on camera, ettl etc.

The flash doesn't have a built in optical sensor/radio trigger, you have to provide it by connecting to the hotshoe or the PC socket.

JJ

Judyd
17-02-2012, 2:46pm
I'm not sure what you are expecting of the flash. If you put it in manual mode and then trigger it with an optical sensor, radio receiver or plain cable then it will fire. There's nothing to it. I do it all the time. In fact more so than using on camera, ettl etc.

The flash doesn't have a built in optical sensor/radio trigger, you have to provide it by connecting to the hotshoe or the PC socket.

JJ

thanks for your response JJ but i don't quite understand. you say "the flash doesn't have a built in optical sensor.." and I get that - i assumed it did have one. You also say "... then trigger it with an optical sensor ...". Do you mean attach one?

thanks
Judy

jjphoto
17-02-2012, 2:50pm
... Do you mean attach one?

Yep. I use a Mecalux 11 (quite a few of them actually) which slip onto the hotshoe and work well. I also use radio triggers (pocketwizards).

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=mecalux+11&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGHP_enAU464AU464&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HMA9T6UmxfCYBaKqkMIH&ved=0CF8QsAQ&biw=1441&bih=1062

JJ

Judyd
17-02-2012, 4:39pm
Yep. I use a Mecalux 11 (quite a few of them actually) which slip onto the hotshoe and work well. I also use radio triggers (pocketwizards).

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=mecalux+11&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGHP_enAU464AU464&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HMA9T6UmxfCYBaKqkMIH&ved=0CF8QsAQ&biw=1441&bih=1062

JJ

you are a star JJ - thankyou so much for the info!
Judy

Tommo224
20-02-2012, 4:59pm
I use Yongnuo RF-303 remotes for my flashes, and one of my friends just bought some to use on her Canon flashes.

Plug one in to the top of the camera, plug the other remotes on to the other flashes. and BAM, you got flashes going off everywhere at the same time.

$30 a pair from ebay (I have 4, she has a few now too).

You can even plug the shutter cable in to the camera and the one on the camera, and use one of them as a remote trigger :)

My set up:
One on camera with shutter cable
One in hand as a wireless remote for the camera
One on each flash (2).

Self portraits or awkward/tricky situations made easy lol.

Judyd
21-02-2012, 10:22pm
thanks for this Tommo - I've been thinking about these units and figure for the price its worth giving them a go.

sunny6teen
28-02-2012, 12:14am
for anyone in the market...the 590 speedlites are due to come out any time now.
they'll have radio capabilites built in etc.

Judyd
29-02-2012, 8:52am
for anyone in the market...the 590 speedlites are due to come out any time now.
they'll have radio capabilites built in etc.

that sounds really good Tony - wonder what the price will be?!