PDA

View Full Version : EM-5

swifty
15-02-2012, 3:32pm
No love for the EM-5 in here? :(
I know, I know..it's probably just a reflection of the smaller user base here.

Anyways, I think Olympus nailed this one and I would love to use this as my lite take everywhere camera.

Sensor size: IMO it's the Goldilocks of sensor size. Not too big, and not too small. A good trade off between size and performance.

Lens selection: probably the most mature in the mirrorless or CSC segment. The fast zooms are coming this year for those that want it. Not sure what else is missing, maybe some native fast tele primes? Not that I need them and kind of defeats the purpose of a compact system so they might never come.

Bells and whistles:
EVF
ibis
Weather seal
Dual control wheels
Faster AF
All very photocentric features

I use to own a GH2 but sold it for various reasons so this might be try 2 with m43 for me.

If only there were some native wireless connectivity. Oh well, I'll have to experiment with Eye-fi then.

Just waiting for some production camera reviews.

peterb666
15-02-2012, 5:06pm
I have a Pen E-P1 and E-P3 and I am interested in the OM-D E-M5 although I would have preferred a rangefinder style camera instead of a pseudo dSLR.

That said, it still holds interest for me and I have a lot of fun shooting with my E-P3 even if my Nikon D90 is the more forgiving camera when dealing with difficult lighting etc.

If the E-P3 sensor is as good as claimed it will be a big plus. Olympus still need fast zooms but now have some great primes in the 12, 45 and recently announced 75mm lenses.

The water resistant 12-50 will be a good kit lens.

I am in no rush to get the OM-D but will wait until prices die down. It is good to see interesting and fun product coming out of Olympus.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

swifty
15-02-2012, 5:46pm
How do you like the 12mm/f2, Peter.
I'm trying to decide on a nice little kit and am tossing up between the prime or a uwa zoom.
For me, overall size and weight are key considerations.
So something like a Oly 9-18, Panny 20/1.7 and I haven't decided between the 45/1.8, 60/2.8 macro and 75/1.8.
I'm also undecided on the kit lens but the pseudo macro and power zoom for video might win me over.
I have an existing m43-Fmount adapter so my 85/1.4 can act as a Manual focus 170/1.4 so maybe that takes the 75/1.8 out of the equation. Leaning towards the 45/1.8.

peterb666
15-02-2012, 7:06pm
The 12mm f/2 is my "standard" lens as it gives a reasonably wide angle and decent speed. AF performance is excellent, even on the poor old E-P1 and the manual focus setup is close to perfect for any lens. Resistance to flare when shooting into the sun is also excellent.

I also have the 9-18mm Olympus lens and it is a good choice for a general ultra-wide lens. Where it falls down for me is that I do a lot of pre-dawn photography and it just doesn't compare with the ease of use of the 12mm lens under low light. You simply cannot focus the 9-18mm lens without lighting up your subject. If it had a focus scale on it, it would be a completely different matter. Resistance to flare is outstanding for a UWA zoom but CAs can be high in some conditions. I like the extra width compared to the 12mm and the wide zoom makes it good for interiors and street scenes. Still, I would go for the 12mm if I only had to have the one lens.

I also have the Panny 20mm f/1.7. Panny owners rave about it but I think it is a pretty ordinary lens. Noisy and slow AF but at least it is fast enough but I often find it a little long for interior shooting. It does make a compact kit on the camera and mine was very cheap for the time I bought it (direct from Japan).

The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is the outstanding bargain lens of the year (and possibly the decade). Other than occassionally missing the mechanical manual focus that you have on the 12mm lens, I cannot fault it. Good value. I managed to by mine from a deceased estate as a second-hand lens still in box and less than 3 weeks old for $300. Even at the normal retail prices in Australia, the lens is value. On this occassion, the best $300 I have ever spent.

The 12-50mm dissapoints in speed but does have some compelling features, e.g. weather proofing, the 1:2 macro which should be enough for me as I have a 1:1 macro for the Nikon, doesn't change lenght of focus or zoom. I believe the image quality is very good, almost approaching the FT 12-60mm lens. Pity they couldn't have done it as a f/2.8 or even constant aperture f/4. Anyway, I venture out into wet conditions a lot so it will still be handy and the zoom range is good. Bundled with the camera, the lens seems good value (subject to local street pricing).

Quite frankly, the ideal zoom for me on the MFT camera would be a 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom and I am sure you could make a reasonably compact lens of that range.

swifty
15-02-2012, 9:48pm
Quite frankly, the ideal zoom for me on the MFT camera would be a 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom and I am sure you could make a reasonably compact lens of that range.

In case you weren't aware, you should be in for a treat since Panasonic has already shown the prototype x lenses in exactly those specs. It doesn't look too big either :)

davsv1
15-02-2012, 10:27pm
I'll wait to see how the focus is with 4/3 lenses, I have too much $$$ tied up in 4/3 glass. They do say this is not a pro model so something better should be coming, maybe E7.

peterb666
15-02-2012, 11:55pm
In case you weren't aware, you should be in for a treat since Panasonic has already shown the prototype x lenses in exactly those specs. It doesn't look too big either :)

I have seen that but the x lenses to date have so far been dissapointing with nothing exceptional in performance and I can live without things like power zoom controls (I believe the Olympus 12-50 has something along those lines too). I really want to see mechanical zoom and focus rings.

Of course Olympus makes some great lenses in FT mount like the 14-35mm f/2 but a little out of scale for MFT.

ericimbs
19-03-2012, 6:23am
i use an E-p2 to pretty decent effect. tons of 4/3 gear, so the upgrade to OM-D is a no-brainer for me.

davsv1
19-03-2012, 8:47am
i use an E-p2 to pretty decent effect. tons of 4/3 gear, so the upgrade to OM-D is a no-brainer for me.
Don't think I'll upgrade for a while, unless I go travel and want a smaller camera. I'll wait and see what the E5 upgrade brings first.

peterb666
20-03-2012, 1:40pm
Don't think I'll upgrade for a while, unless I go travel and want a smaller camera. I'll wait and see what the E5 upgrade brings first.

I would be surprised if there is an E5 upgrade. End of the line imho. The E5 itself was a cost saving exercise to keep the pressure off.

DavCal
03-04-2012, 4:33pm
:)Not according to Olympus - they have promised an E-7 which logically would feature the new EM-5 16MP sensor and five-ways IS.

TOM
09-04-2012, 9:28pm
IMHO the Panny 1.7/20mm is a superb, crisp lens with beautiful boke. I'll be putting mine onto my EM-5 when I get one.

Programme
14-05-2012, 12:33am
Is there anyone else out there with an EM-5?

I've had mine for about a week now, and in addition to what has been reviewed online (compact form factor, excellent IBIS and quite good noise and AF performance), I've actually found the 'one touch on the screen to focus and release the shutter' function to be quite useful. Seemed rather gimmicky when reading about it but the feature works quite well.

Being a lot more compact has also meant having the camera with me more often, rather than leaving it at home - which happened a LOT with the SLR!

Oh, and the 45mm f/1.8 lens is great too :)

lanegd01
20-05-2012, 11:26am
Is there anyone else out there with an EM-5?

I've had mine for about a week now, and in addition to what has been reviewed online (compact form factor, excellent IBIS and quite good noise and AF performance), I've actually found the 'one touch on the screen to focus and release the shutter' function to be quite useful. Seemed rather gimmicky when reading about it but the feature works quite well.

Being a lot more compact has also meant having the camera with me more often, rather than leaving it at home - which happened a LOT with the SLR!

Oh, and the 45mm f/1.8 lens is great too :)

I've had mine about a week. I like being able to just drop in whatever bag I am carrying. I have one of those square cloths with velcro corners to wrap it in. I mainly use the 12-50 on it. i find it quick and responsive in both auto and manual I have ordered the 75-300mm.

swifty
21-05-2012, 6:46pm
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/21/Panasonic-12-35mm-F2-8-fast-standard-zoom-for-micro-four-thirds
Relatively small
Weather sealed
Power ois
Mechanical zoom
Sharp (across the entire focal length even wide open from early reports)

What's not to like :)
The price, but it's not that bad.
Well I don't really use standard zooms much but one can't help feel impressed.

Apologies for bringing my own thread OT.

peterb666
22-05-2012, 7:36am
No idea of the Australian pricing but Panasonic seem to go high in Oz compred to the rest of the World.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

swifty
22-05-2012, 8:25am
Yea, considering the Panasonic's 7-14's close to $2k in Aus and is under $1k in the US and now Amazon has the 12-35 listed at $1299 preorder, I don't want to know what Aussies'll have to pay.

lanegd01
24-05-2012, 8:24pm
Yea, considering the Panasonic's 7-14's close to $2k in Aus and is under $1k in the US and now Amazon has the 12-35 listed at $1299 preorder, I don't want to know what Aussies'll have to pay.
Ouch!! out of my price range

tubedriver
31-05-2012, 5:04pm
Hi Micro 4/3 lovers.

I have been shooting in M 4/3 for just over a year now and recently purchased the OMD EM-5 with 12-50mm lens and battery grip (awaiting the FL 600R flash). I love micro 4/3 and especially the EM-5. After using the EM-5 for a week I just couldn't see myself every using my Canon 5D II again, so I sold it off along with a number of lenses.

davsv1
31-05-2012, 5:40pm
Post up some pics and lets see them:D.
I'd like to hear your comparison to.

swifty
31-05-2012, 11:19pm
I was just browsing the other day and of all places, Myers had an EM5 on display so I asked to handle it.
I must say I'm awfully tempted. Well I always had been but now I'm even more itching to pull the trigger. Having smallish hands it fitted me quite perfectly and the dual control wheels are what I'm accustomed to and miss in other smaller cameras I've handled.
But if I did buy it, it'd complement my D700 though rather than replace it.
They each have strengths and 4/3 and FX are different enough to justify owning both. Well.. I'm doing everything I can to justify it anyways lol.

nhutty
16-07-2012, 7:47pm
Just recently picked up a EM5, and really enjoy using it. I think I'll be selling my canon 60d and 17-55 2.8IS. The size difference is amazing when you have both cameras side by side.

I've got a 20mm 1.7 and this combo is awesome and oh so small and light.

I know that it probably isn't as good as aps-c camera but it's so close that I can forgo that to get such a small and light package

RamblinR
21-01-2013, 8:23pm
Have sold my 60d, 7d, lenses and flashes and purchased 2 x OMD em5's with grips and new lenses etc.

Love this camera and it works for my style of photography.
Don's miss the weight of the Canon's one bit.

CapnBloodbeard
08-03-2013, 1:40pm
Doesn't one of the other Oly cameras have the same sensor now?

Seems to be the bees knees of mirrorless, but just way, way too expensive for me. If I had a cool $1.5k lying around, there are many things I'd prefer to sink it into photographically than this, but that's just me.

swifty
08-03-2013, 3:31pm
Doesn't one of the other Oly cameras have the same sensor now?

The updated Oly mirrorless line up of EM5, EPL5 and EPM2 all have the same sensor. Only the EP3 lags behind with the old 12MP sensor but is due for an update soon.

JM Tran
08-03-2013, 5:08pm
Its a pretty cool design and feels good, but I wasnt fully happy with the IQ, from ISO 800 and above. Even though its getting better all the time, the limitations of the sensor size never seems to make me happy for some reason.

swifty
08-03-2013, 5:37pm
I've had the same experience but to me that's acceptable. No issues up to and including ISO 800. 1600 useable if necessary. I don't shoot above that often anyways.
But as good as it is, I just can't operate it anywhere as quickly as I can on my DSLR but I'm willing to concede that might be down to lack of experience with it.

rocklogic
26-03-2013, 7:11pm
i pulled the trigger just over last week - very happy, and felt at home (moving from an e-system). It's an amazing piece of equipment, really amazing.

brownegaz
30-04-2013, 9:52pm
Ive had my EM5 for about 6 months after upgrading from my trusty Canon S95.

I mainly use my EM5 underwater in a Nauticam housing using either the 60mm macro or the 9-18mm WA and Im quite pleased with the results, most of my UW photography is macro, I find AF is fast depending on which of three settings I select prior to the dive.

Above water I am getting into landscape photography using the 9-18 with mixed results so far, but that is more to do with my inexperience more than anything to do with the camera or lens, having said that I have found that like Peterb666 I also do some pre-dawn photography and it has trouble focusing in low light conditions.

I also find the 60mm macro lens is good for the occasional portraits that I shoot, Im not sure what lens is next probably the 12mm pancake.
Im very happy with my EM5.

tubedriver
28-07-2013, 7:00pm
I have had my EM5 for just over a year now. I have to admit that I am still VERY happy with it.

After the purchase of my EM5, I came to realise pretty quickly that I couldn't see any time soon that I would be reaching again for my Canon 5DII with a few "L" lenses. I would consider myself mostly a landscape photographer. I enjoy bushwalking but found the Canon and one lens (usually 17-40 F4L) just too big and heavy to carry around. The EM5 certainly can not be accused of that!

I have biggish hands and have found some of the buttons on the EM5 challenging at times. One thing I have never been disappointed with is IQ, which in my opinion surpasses the Canon.

I have since sold all the Canon gear and don't intend to look back.

Bromo
26-08-2013, 10:08pm
I have had my EM5 for just over a year now. I have to admit that I am still VERY happy with it.

After the purchase of my EM5, I came to realise pretty quickly that I couldn't see any time soon that I would be reaching again for my Canon 5DII with a few "L" lenses. I would consider myself mostly a landscape photographer. I enjoy bushwalking but found the Canon and one lens (usually 17-40 F4L) just too big and heavy to carry around. The EM5 certainly can not be accused of that!

I have biggish hands and have found some of the buttons on the EM5 challenging at times. One thing I have never been disappointed with is IQ, which in my opinion surpasses the Canon.

I have since sold all the Canon gear and don't intend to look back.

Gday Shaun
Interesting to read your thoughts about the EM5. Its certainly a huge step in terms of the sensor and the image stabilization. I have also had mine for over a year and found it exceptional. I have had a series of E series Oly cameras (E1, E510, E3, E-P1, E5 and now EM5) and I would say that the only thing that I felt was lacking was good AF on the older four thirds lenses and AF tracking/CAF. No doubt this will be fixed up (hopefully) with the upcoming E-M1 but the overall image quality of the EM5 is simply great.
It is hard to go back to the larger heavier camera after using the EM5 especially if you are on the move. Thanks again for your thoughts.