PDA

View Full Version : We're off to Italy - hoping to get some good photos

crazymorton
13-02-2012, 9:07pm
hey team,
wife and i are off this week for 4 weeks in Italy. spending most of it in Bellagio up north then 4 nights in Venice on the way home.

Should be lots of opportunity for pics and video. I'm taking my slr, wifes pas, and my new video cam. grabbed a lowepro camera bag, thanks to some advice on here, and also bought a small ASUS laptop to manage the photos/video as well as this blog i have started for us.

http://bellagio.shanefergusson.com

so if you're inclined then enjoy the blog and hopefully i'll get to post some pics up here but if not then the image gallery link on the blog will contain them.

thanks for reading

mongo
13-02-2012, 9:39pm
when in Venice take a ferry over to the island of Borano and take a good wide angle lens for the unusually interesting building there. Also has one great little shop that makes and sells local glass jewellery often nicer than Venice and even Morano.

Have fun.

ricktas
14-02-2012, 7:21am
Enjoy Italy. Looking forward to seeing some of the photos when you get back.

ameerat42
14-02-2012, 8:02am
...the island of Borano...and even Morano....

He'd better go to Burano and Murano instead:D.

And DON'T go in anything but the normal "traghetti" or public ferries, as water taxis are dearer, and private touts (in boats) just take you to spend in their (own) glassworks.

A gondola will set you back a bit, but with a heap of people it's worth it.

If you want to get into St Mark's, go the week before (long lines).

Communque, buon viaggio!

mongo
14-02-2012, 9:21pm
He'd better go to Burano and Murano instead:D.

Communque, buon viaggio!

Ameerat42 is right again ! - Mongo's spelling of places is tragic !

MMF
14-02-2012, 11:49pm
Have a great time in italy, you'll get some great shots but if you haven't been befor I'd suggest whatching your gear like an absolute hawk. Unfortunately personal experience has proven to me that the pickpockets are real pros. I was mugged but I know others who had their hotel broken into while they were asleep and all their belongings stolen. Its not fun organising new travel docs, money etc.

J.davis
15-02-2012, 12:18am
On our tour of Italy, in Venice, a camera bag was taken from the breakfast room with a lot of people around - be watchfull.

ameerat42
15-02-2012, 9:15am
As for monetary matters, we had a very useful Cash Passport - a debit Mastercard - besides some cash. If you use it to pull out from ATMs, go into a secure bank building rather than just along a wall in the street. It costs about 2 Euro per withdrawal, and our max seemed to capped at 500 Euro. I found the BNL bank to be the best, and we always looked out for these. Just be sure that you use up almost all of the balance on the Cash Passport, because the "buyback" rate is not the best.

Pickpockets? (Hey, you must have been abroad before, so what are we telling you?) We had my wife's mobile phone "lifted" from its unfortunate place on the outside pocket of her handbag by a very "helpful" gentleman as we - and l:eek::eek:k out! in such cases - got off the bus manhandling luggage. Lucky for us it was right at Naples station, where we were able to immediately "denounce" it to the police there. They were very helpful, even letting us try to identify the perpetrators from the on-line list of photos. But of course, we couldn't get our phone back, BUT we did immediately have it cancelled (through Optus), though not before they had put in a $12 call to Tunisia. So they eventually ended up with a brick, because we got the phone immobilised - not even a new SIM will make it work.

So they key is "distractions". The rule is, don't be. And if you are, report it immediately.

(Now, did I say to have a good trip?)

No, really. We walked through areas that didn't appear all that salubrious for travellers, and nothing happened.
Am.

KeeFy
15-02-2012, 12:45pm
I just got back from Italy a couple months back and i went to Bellagio. Do take the ferry over to Varenna (i took the car ferry). There is a great gelato place over there facing the lake, it's along the lakeside walk to the right once you exit the jetty. Around lake como there are loads of windy roads and if you do drive, it's a drivers dream. I had great fun driving around lake como.

As for pickpockets and stuff, just be wary of your stuff. IGNORE EVERYONE, there are loads of scams in italy as well. So do a bit of google on that.

Have fun!

camerasnoop
15-02-2012, 1:02pm
Go buy yourself a cheap GPS from Harvey Norman, and a large capacity mini-SD card. Set your GPS to record your journey, and download the tracking file regularly onto that laptop you bought. When you get home download the free GPS Setter software and merge the GPS data into your RAW/JPEG files. They will all map on Google Maps for you. Easier than stuffing around later. You want to "remember" your trip!

stuey
15-02-2012, 1:44pm
My wife and i spent 6 weeks in Northern Italy last year, mainly based out of the Como area. Spent time in Milan and should warn you when in and around the town square watch for Pick Pocketers as they are rife. especially in front of the grand cathedral. they throw corn seed around you and have pidgins swamp you, then they offer to take pictures for you or place birds on your arms and head while stealing from you at the same time.

Appart from that we had a tremendous time exploring the lakes area and ducking in Switzerland daily for lunch or dinner.

Stu

KeeFy
15-02-2012, 1:54pm
Appart from that we had a tremendous time exploring the lakes area and ducking in Switzerland daily for lunch or dinner.

Swizerland is so expensive!!! I was in Geneva for a few days as well and generally the cost of food there ... unless you got the plat du jour (deal of the day/plate of the day). CHF is roughly 1:1 AUD and meals are about $25 per pax at a cafe.

Ionica
15-02-2012, 5:49pm
Unless there is a sudden change, you may be walking on the canals, from some photos I've seen. The mountain areas should be beautiful, with all the snow. :cool:

crazymorton
17-02-2012, 5:32pm
hi all,
thanks for all the tips it's been a great read. yes we have travelled and aware of the pickpockets etc but thanks anyway for the advice. all the recommended locations to visit are locked away for a visit. currently sitting at Brisbane airport awaiting our first leg to sydney. very excited. :efelant:

arnica
21-02-2012, 9:14am
Looking forward to the pics when you get back!!!! and yes, I'll also be looking at your blog!!!

crazymorton
02-03-2012, 8:06am
hey all.....well we are still here, in Italy, not long to go now. Final few days in Bellagio and then 4 nights in Venice.
I don't know what to say to explain it all except awesome! We have had a wonderful time. I have managed to get a few posts on the blog http://bellagio.shanefergusson.com/

Perhaps my favourite post is the general link to http://bellagio.shanefergusson.com/?p=291 Food_Wine_Beer. I have attempted to take an image of every meal & drink we have had. And that's been quite a few I can tell you!!

All the images you see are quite raw, I haven't really had time for any pp we have had pretty full days. The blog was mainly designed for family and friends to see our adventure and as a record for us to look at when we return. We are still behind a couple of days so stay tuned for some more updates shortly.

Hope you all enjoy what we have done so far and if you see any good images i should jump on and pp feel free to let me know.

cheers