PDA

View Full Version : YN460 II pros/cons?

Gunsoftheworld
11-02-2012, 9:44pm
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my first external flash unit for my D5100. I plan to use it for general usage both indoor and out door distance of 5-10 meters.

Just looking for any reviews you have about its general usage, especially the battery life/what batteries to use, recycle time and effectiveness against the Nikon external units.

Bennymiata
12-02-2012, 4:16pm
All the YN's and Nissin's a pretty good flashes, and considerably cheaper than the Nikon/Canon equivalents.

They use AA batteries and you'll get 150 or so flashes, and probably more, from a freshly charged set.

If this is your first, and probably only flash, I would go for the largest model they make, as you may think that you only need it 5-10 metres now, but as sure as there is snow on the Himalayans, it won't be long when you wish you had more power in your flash.

Both of these brands are pretty cheap when bought grey, and you'll probaly get their largest models for under $300, and their better models also work as both wireless and optical flash slaves.

peterb666
12-02-2012, 7:26pm
The YN460 II is not a dedicated flash and not even a true automatic flash. Power can be adjusted and there are two slave modes. You could trigger it with the built in flash of the D5100.

For my Nikon D90, I bought a Nissin Di622 Mk II which is full iTTL auto for Nikon cameras, has built in optical slave modes and also works as a slave in the Nikon Commander system. Quick recycle time and well made. Price is reasonable at around $140 to $145 off eBay, or available locally for around twice the price (a bit silly really). I bought the Nissin as I had earler bought the Nissin Di466 Four Thirds and was quite impressed by it. I now use the pair regularly with either my Nikon or Olympus cameras, just swapping about which one is the slave & master.