PDA

View Full Version : Australia's best cyclist

wmphoto
10-02-2012, 11:32pm
Well for those that follow the sport of cycling, another season is underway and I thought I would see who you think is / was Australia's best cyclist, including both men and women.

It's a tough decision.

Cadel Evans - TDF winner, World Champ, MTB World Champ.
Stuart O'Grady - tough leader on the course
Robbie McEwen - sprint legend, TDF green jersey winner (x3)
Oenone Wood & Anna Wilson - both 2 times world champs
Kathy Watt - Olympic glory
Anna Meares - unbeatable on the track
Phil Anderson - European pioneer for Australian cycling
and of course...
Sir Hubert Opperman

wmphoto
10-02-2012, 11:43pm
Sorry I should add that for me, of the women I find it hard to go past Anna Meares and of the men I'm still undecided, but I am leaning towards Robbie McEwen as my overall choice.

ApolloLXII
10-02-2012, 11:54pm
Opperman would run rings around any of the other cyclist in this list simply by the virtue of the fact that his successes came in an era before feather light wheels, carbon-fibre frames, lycra and dope cheating.

geoffsta
11-02-2012, 7:29am
The one that has a mirror on his bike so he/she can see behind them. I have nearly hit three riders on our narrow roads. A lot of the lycra wearing friends are like the people who drive slow when you cant pass them, then speed up when you can. Sometimes I think when they are riding, their brains go down to the butt for extra padding. :angry0:

macmich
11-02-2012, 10:09am
i still think you have left the second best out
oppie on top then syd patterson
cheers macca

geoffsta
11-02-2012, 12:57pm
I wouldn't say "Get off our roads jerks!" Because I don't mind riders on the road. But some just don't think. They seem to be in a world of their own. There are never any warning signs. On many of the roads around here there are no sealed shoulders for the riders safety, and some corners are quite blind. I am a bike rider, and refuse to use the roads around here.

brownie
13-02-2012, 8:02pm
It’s disappointing to see that ‘Get off our roads jerks’ is getting votes. :(

wmphoto
13-02-2012, 8:57pm
It’s disappointing to see that ‘Get off our roads jerks’ is getting votes. :(

Sadly you hear it all the time (which is why I put it as an option).

Edit: removed the rest of my post, let's keep it on topic.