PDA

View Full Version : charge my D90 without charger, suggestions please!

Patagonia
10-02-2012, 1:21pm
I´m leaving tomorrow afternoon for a week trip to the south of Chile, probably with outstanding scenery for photography and just realized my charger (and probably my second battery) are stored in an unknown box in a mess I have as I left my apartment and All my stuff is sitting on my Mom´s patio :(

Just been looking around but there is very little chance I will have the time to find them so I would like to know any ideas on how to charge it without it, thought of USB but google says it can´t be done, Nikon here does not have a battery or charger on stock :angry0: so I´m running out of time...ideas or whatever as jokes to cheer me up will be welcomed :D

pd: just emailed a friend that has a D90 but think he is out of town, will check tomorrow morning, going to sleep now.

thanks!

arthurking83
10-02-2012, 2:04pm
You can't charge the battery from within the camera itself.. the camera power jack is only for powering the camera for long term guaranteed power without disruption.

..... thinking ..... thinking ... thinking .......

Bennymiata
10-02-2012, 4:05pm
I wish cameras could be charged via USB, but USB only puts out 5.1V, and the camera needs around 9V to charge.
There are many aftermarket chargers available, and many of them will accept different voltages as well, so they are great for travelling.

Check with your local camera store, or go to DCW, they should have something that will work for you and they aren't very expensive either.
I'm sure the aftermarket chargers would be a lot cheaper than an OEM Nikon one.

J.davis
10-02-2012, 10:37pm
Benny - he cant get to DCW, he lives in Chile.:D

arthurking83
10-02-2012, 11:35pm
And is off in a few moments to southern Chile(which from memory is pretty remote) so by the time the OP reads this, he's probably already off in the wild green yonder!

Patagonia
11-02-2012, 11:19am
hehehe, remember Im almost 12 hours behind here, Im half way to where I want to go now as it´s 1200 From Santiago...but I`ll remember DCW when I have the change to visit :)

I´m not going far south but I want to go to some small towns on the mountains that until 2 years ago were only reachable by horse or small aircrafts (max 4 people) and my idea is to grab their atmosphere before they get to "civilized" Probably I will not have Mobile o internet so Ill post when I´m back.

Anyway, surfing the internet I was able to find a charger (US$20) in a store 1 block away from my job!!!, its very cheap made but it has plug for the car aux socket so maybe its not just a waste of money. Battery is supposed to be charging right know, lm hoping it will work.

regards
Alejandro

Bennymiata
11-02-2012, 3:40pm
Glad we got you thinking and that you were able to find something so close.
I should have read your location before typing, but I did say to look locally.

Some of these cheap aftermarket chargers work really well and often give you a 12V plug to go into the cigarette lighter of the car as well.

richardb
12-02-2012, 5:12am
Why not buy a point and shoot pocketcam. You'l feel safe/comfortable in the streets, a pocketcam is easy and handy....can be good quality though.
Travelling around Chile is a dream for me, Punta Arenas, the gletsjers, marine life, woooow tell us after !
Posting from a day ago........OK,....u already get a batt-charger. Have fun !
:th3:

arthurking83
12-02-2012, 10:26am

Anyway, surfing the internet I was able to find a charger (US$20) in a store 1 block away from my job!!!, its very cheap made but it has plug for the car aux socket so maybe its not just a waste of money. Battery is supposed to be charging right know, lm hoping it will work.

Good to hear.

I got a cheapo aftermarket battery(2) and charger(multipurpose) deal 6 years ago for less than the price of a single Nikon battery(for the D70s) way back then and it still works perfectly.
I use it to recharge the D300's batteries whilst on the move via the car cigarette lighter. Takes a while to charge, but on my usually long drives this isn't an issue.