PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tripod: +/-400g and less than $400

enduro
04-02-2012, 9:41pm
Hi all,

I was searching through the web a few weeks ago and found a nice light tripod with a ball head for about $300. Amazingly it weighed around 400g.

For the life of me have forgotten the name (think it might have started with a V) and I didn't save the link.

So can anyone suggest a similar tripod. I anticipate using it for hiking so it must be very light.

It will be used with my 7d + 17-70mm weighing a total of about 1.3kg.

Wayne
04-02-2012, 9:48pm
Some sort of Velbon?

enduro
04-02-2012, 10:05pm
Some sort of Velbon?

I had a look through Vanguard and Velbon just now and there are nil that weight ... :confused013

KeeFy
04-02-2012, 10:06pm
If you want sturdy and light. It has to be at least carbon fiber. At $300 you will be looking at brands like Sirui, Benro, Horusbennu, Velbon but none of them are below 400g or close to it, typically 1kg. Anything that weighs that little shouldn't be able to hold your dslr steadily. May i recommend the gorillapod dslr zoom if you really need a tripod to be light.

enduro
04-02-2012, 10:11pm
If you want sturdy and light. It has to be at least carbon fiber. At $300 you will be looking at brands like Sirui, Benro, Horusbennu, Velbon but none of them are below 400g or close to it, typically 1kg. Anything that weighs that little shouldn't be able to hold your dslr steadily. May i recommend the gorillapod dslr zoom if you really need a tripod to be light.

Though it is a bit low, I'm looking at the Gorrillapod DSLR Zoom right now - with the ball head.

I have a aluminum tripod that's 400g already, but the fixed pan tilt head is pretty poor. With the legs 3/4 extended it does a great job at supporting the camera.

KeeFy
04-02-2012, 10:43pm
Though it is a bit low, I'm looking at the Gorrillapod DSLR Zoom right now - with the ball head.

I have a aluminum tripod that's 400g already, but the fixed pan tilt head is pretty poor. With the legs 3/4 extended it does a great job at supporting the camera.

The advantage of the gorilla pod is you can find something to attach it to like the bark of a small tree, branch of a big tree or perched on some rocks. The small aluminum tripod that's 400g shouldn't be able to get you into the portrait mode and still hold your camera steadily i think.

wheellathe
07-02-2012, 1:30pm
enduro . Why is 400g the magic number ? If your hiking weight is so important why not reorganize your gear eg : start of with a near empty tube of tooth paste, shorten your tooth brush, measure out a quanity of liquid soap instead of taking a cake plus container. etc

enduro
07-02-2012, 9:14pm
Thanks for the tips.

After about 25 years of regular wilderness
hiking I now have a pretty good idea how to reduce weights.

Re the requirements for a light tripod.....

Oh, I don't take soap.

enduro . Why is 400g the magic number ? If your hiking weight is so important why not reorganize your gear eg : start of with a near empty tube of tooth paste, shorten your tooth brush, measure out a quanity of liquid soap instead of taking a cake plus container. etc

wheellathe
07-02-2012, 10:00pm
Sorry