PDA

View Full Version : you do not no how much you miss photography until you cannot use your camera

macmich
04-02-2012, 5:11pm
hi all
i have just realised how much photography means to me
i had a back operation on the 24th and cannot lift anything over a kilo for a bout 10 weeks
i should not have sold the nifty fifty and i might have snuck in with the battery grip off
but they would mostly be shots from around the house anyway
but its the first time in 18 months that i have not had pain through the leg and into the ball of the foot
12 weeks time i go back in and have 3 discs removed and plated from neck so it will be another long time from shooting
but at least i can keep admiring the work of others
cheers macca

geoffsta
04-02-2012, 5:30pm
The old saying... Get well soon :th3: We will miss you on here while your of crook. Don't forget to do the odd post, or Rick will deactivate you. :D
Look after yourself, and think positive. And you'll heal quicker. Then be out and about taking great pics again.

macmich
04-02-2012, 5:38pm
i can only sit for five minutes for another couple of weeks after that
i might go through some old shots and do some work
macca

Analog6
04-02-2012, 6:19pm
If it is helping your pain it will be worth it. Can you spend some time processing/reprocessing existing work?

Duane Pipe
04-02-2012, 6:32pm
You sound like me Macca:( I hope that in the end that you are as pain free as can be...
Im stuffed too mate, But I dont like Hospitals so I put up with what I have. All the best:)

macmich
04-02-2012, 7:03pm
duane
if you get the chance surgery is worthwhile
today is the first time in 16 months i have not had morphine
in the end the pilss and whatnot will make things worse
i had a 80% chance of it working and i jumped at it
cheers macca

Mark L
04-02-2012, 11:44pm
Now can someone set the camera up on a tripod near a window?
Hope it's all worth the effort and get well quickly.

KeeFy
04-02-2012, 11:59pm
hi all
i have just realised how much photography means to me
i had a back operation on the 24th and cannot lift anything over a kilo for a bout 10 weeks
i should not have sold the nifty fifty and i might have snuck in with the battery grip off
but they would mostly be shots from around the house anyway
but its the first time in 18 months that i have not had pain through the leg and into the ball of the foot
12 weeks time i go back in and have 3 discs removed and plated from neck so it will be another long time from shooting
but at least i can keep admiring the work of others
cheers macca

I understand where you're coming from. I've had a disc prolapse on the l5/s1 TWICE. First time it was discectomy and second was a lumbar fusion. Ahh fun times. I was only 24 when i did my first operation and 27 when i did my 2nd. First time was 2 years of pain before i decided I had enough pain. 2nd time i took the operation route after 9 months.

Considering i did full contact karate (no protection pads other than the precious bit), rugby and ice hockey, my pain threshold is actually pretty decent. Even so there were days i was in tears due to the pain and even the 120mg Arcoxia (Pretty strong NSAID, 24 hour per pill about $5 bucks each pill) + Paracetamol couldn't provide much relief. If i was moving around for too long on the good days i'll be limping as well.

Few years on, my bones have fused, i don't have any sciatica except for occasional extra numbness in my pinky toe, it's partially numb all the time as the nerve has been permanently damaged. The operation was totally worth it. I pray that it'll be good for you as well :)

Take care mate!

macmich
05-02-2012, 10:24am
keefy
i could not be happier at this stage with the lumber op
when they do the cervical in 12 weeks i might take up rugby again myself(like hell) full back was one shocking position
cheers macca

ricktas
05-02-2012, 10:29am
Sounds like an opportunity to get the phone camera out and become creative. You never know, it might just get you thinking differently about your photos and result in something wonderful. Hope the second operation is a resounding success, and that you can recover well and that we see you out and about again soon.

Duane Pipe
05-02-2012, 7:21pm
duane
if you get the chance surgery is worthwhile
today is the first time in 16 months i have not had morphine
in the end the pilss and whatnot will make things worse
i had a 80% chance of it working and i jumped at it
cheers macca

Nah, No surgery for me mate:(
My lower back is the least of my concerns, I have shoulder injuries that need operating on and am full of Osteo arthritis
which in the neck is bad I suffer from head aches and my ankles and hips give me pain all the time Macca.
My cure is a VB. :(
I haven't worked for 2 years and am pissed off and depressed, My last best paying job I was bringing home $800.00, + on sight work that was about 6 years ago.
I was buying a house and had every thing But NOW I am back home with mum and dad with nothing, just writing this is upsetting me, are well thats life

Ezookiel
05-02-2012, 8:41pm
Hope you're back up and about sooner rather than later.
Good Luck with the recovery and the rest of the surgeries.

Allie
05-02-2012, 11:09pm
Hi Macca, sounds like this operation has been a success especially on the pain front and that is always good. Ten weeks and then twelve weeks for the second do sound like a long time unless you say it really fast :) but they will pass quicker than you think - imagine you are on holidays ... that is sure to make it go faster. All the best for a better future without pain and many photos to make up for those you feel you are missing out on now!!

macmich
06-02-2012, 8:34am
allie
i decided to get both after each other
as i can get back to normal and the workforce again
which is the most depresing part not being able to work after nearly 38years of it
duane you are in a bad way but keep your head up and dont be afraid to seek help if any thing gets you down
keep your chin up
macca

macmich
06-02-2012, 8:36am
rick
i hate mobiles
i put it away awhile ago because of the size of my hands
it got frustrating hitting different buttons all the time
i might try and find it
cheers macca

Bennymiata
07-02-2012, 3:22pm
Best of luck.
I hope it all works out well for you in the end.